Locomotive Driver (wheel) in 6.0.102 UPDATE

Started by Speedster, May 31, 2015, 12:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Working with a client to bring one of my locomotives to market as a large-scale "ride-on" park locomotive.

Just basic curvature, etc.

Bill G

Despot

Nice Bill...

But I thought the whole point of this Beta Shots gallery was to post renders showing new features being used and tested ?

J

Speedster

QuoteBut I thought the whole point of this Beta Shots gallery was to post renders showing new features being used and tested ?

Sorry, Ed. I thought the purpose of beta testing was to test the beta in a real world scenario.  With the eminent public release this week, our collective testing takes on new urgency.

This was my first "paying gig" with KS6, as earlier I was not willing to commit clients work in beta.  I am focusing basically on UI, stability, intuitive use and other features, and less on materials.  This did not lend itself to all the new bells and whistles, and I'm saving the new Material Graph for when I have more time to play with it.

That being said, I should have been more elaborative.  In this project I revisited most of the issues I and others have raised in earlier beta posts to see if they have been resolved.  I also found a new issue that I'll mention here, and will also post on the Beta Discussion board.  One is serious.  I was going to post my notes today in Discussion, but I'll do so here since you questioned why I posted the "same old stuff".

So below is my post-mortem of this project...

1)  Opens now in about 2 seconds, including the startup splash screen.  Was about 7-10 minutes and usually crashed.

2)  Using the SolidWorks Importer (which, as we know, now opens in 6 rather than 5, and I've not bothered to change it) the assembly took about seven minutes to load. DnD loads in about 2 seconds. The importer may not be optimized yet for KS6.

4)  Remapped some surfaces in SW, and did a DnD "Update".  Bingo!  For the first time it really did update.  In the past new geometry would (maybe) update, but new or changed mapping caused a lot of problems.

5)  New issue, potentially serious.

First import OK.
          Import again as "Add to Scene" OK
          Import again as "Add to Scene" OK.
Now, if you "Move" the first import, all is OK.  But if you try to "Move" the second import, KS slows down drastically, locks up and then crashes.  This also happens if you duplicate the model(s).  This is a serious repeatable issue, and needs to be addressed, as we're always duplicating or adding.

Question:  Why does the model now show up as "1", instead of the name?  If you add the same model, or duplicate it, is shows as "1#1" and 1#2", etc.  If you add a part from the same model, it comes in as "1#3", etc.  However, if you add in a part from another project or folder, it comes in with the correct name, and not a number!  This is very confusing behavior and will bring many complaints in release. Screenshot posted below.

But- overall 6.0.102 is quite docile and intuitive, all else I tested or revisited within my normal workflow seems to be fixed. 

As we all know by now, KeyShot 6 is a game-changer and will greatly add to the reputation and bottom line of Luxion and the KeyShot Development Team!

So again, I'm sorry I posted the same old.  I actually was testing a lot of things out pre-release hoping it might help.

Bill G

Speedster

Forgot to mention that now the parts all import to "Model Scale"!  The drivers appear small because the are, having been scaled down in SolidWorks.
Bill G

Despot

Hey Bill

Sorry... didn't mean that to sound bitchy

I always love your models, they speak volumes about the amount of work that goes into them, and to me, because of the very nature of what they are, are crying out for old, aged patinas etc, etc, which KS6 is now perfect for

J