Main Menu

Titanium Ring

Started by Ed, June 02, 2015, 09:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

KS6 render of a titanium ring with blue anodized channels.

The look I wanted to achieve was a lightly brushed titanium finish. 

On my real rings, in almost any light, you'll see the characteristic blurred bands of light and dark reflections streaking across the surface, 90 degrees to the length of the ring.

KeyShot 6 made it possible to replicate that metallic finish using the Material Graph editor, along with a combination of Interior Lighting, Light Materials, and the HDR.

I used the Material Graph to build all four materials used in this scene:  Ring outer surface, ring interior, anodized channels, and the floor (Material Graphs are below).

Ed Ferguson

TpwUK

Loving the ground plane material Ed and the ring looks pretty much bob on too mate.

I was going to try diamonds at some point, to see how they render with the interior preset. Have you tried any yet ?

Martin

Ed

Martin - I'll try diamond tonight with interior lighting as well.  I created a custom lighting profile for jewelry that includes interior lighting and also jacks up the ray bounces for the stones.

Ed Ferguson

Claus Jensen

Ed - just curious. Any reason why you are using Color Adjust on Curvature instead of using the colors directly on Curvature?

Claus

Ed

Claus - The Color Adjust nodes remained from earlier experiments.  I should have removed them before posting.

Ed

Despot

Nice one Ed, I'm also curious as to why you're using 'Interior' rendering mode, is the scene in an enclosed space ?

J