Importing PNG Materials (diffuse, bump and reflection)?

Started by Subrosa, June 02, 2015, 03:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subrosa

Hello,
I am an Industrial Design student and I'll have to ask a question. ;)

There is some kind of teacher at my university who supports us with printing and technical stuff. He gave me a DVD with a lot of textures a while ago. Today - weeks later - I wanted to import them to KeyShot in order to have more different wood textures for a rendering in my project, but unfortunately, he need to spend a while at the hospital (nobody really knows whats wrong - it just isn't only a flu or something), which is why i am asking you. They are all in PNG format and their names are like "wood-red-oak1_d.png", wood-red-oak1_b.png" and wood-red-oak1_r.png".

I think that the letters mean "diffuse", "bump" and "reflection".

a) I dont know how to import the reflection textures to KeyShot.
b) Is there a way to import a whole folder, which is filled with a lot of these PNG files, so that it automaticly uses the right bumpmaps for a wood texture when i use it? / I only know about importing .kmp and .mtl files. :(

(I already downloaded some textures for KeyShot, but I think that the textures he gave me are making a pretty good library to keep, so I'd like to import all of them.)

A quick answer would make me really happy. :) If something isn't understandable, feel free to ask me! I will try to explay in English!

guest84672

The reflection map could be mapped to the specular map.

You can simply go to the textures folder and select all the textures and import them.

I hope this helps.

Subrosa

I somehow can't make it work. If I open keyshot and click the little symbol at the materials database > Import, I can only select the .kmp and .mtl files. If I create a new folder in keyshots textures folder and then click refresh in the material database, my new textures dont show up. I would like to have a new folder in my Database in the left panel in keyshot maybe called "New Textures" or something, which includes all my new textures including their matching bumpmaps and refelections everytime I open keyshot. Would love a more precise answer on how to make this work.

Still thanks to you, thomasteger!  ;)

TpwUK

If i am right, create a new folder in your default textures folder and call the folder whatever you want. Then copy all the materials from your teacher to that folder, as far as i know KS reads all the subfolders in when it starts up, so you should see a heading in the list for your folder.

My example path is that for a Mac installation and is as follows

/Library/Application Support/Keyshot5/Textures/

If you look in there you will see all the folders that are used as texture types by the Materials Library. So you could in theory create a new folder such as "My Materials" and copy all your textures in there or you could take your time and sort them into their respective types and copy them to the appropriately named folder types. However don't expect the Library to create a material specifically based on Red_Oak_r and d and b and combine them to create the overall effect, that's the job of the Material Editor and the end user to create the mtl

Is this what you are after ?

Martin

guest84672

Yes - you will need to go to the texture tab and import. Not in the materials tab.