Museum Diorama mockup (6.0.108)

Started by Speedster, June 05, 2015, 12:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Mockup in SolidWorks of a proposed museum diorama based on a imaginary town in Colorado. After approval I'll strip off all the stuff and do a 3D print of just the basics, from which we'll sculpt a scenery mockup in clay as a guideline.  It's 16 feet long x 38" wide.  The model is not highly detailed, as that's not the purpose right now.  We just have to sell the idea.

This is one SW part, not an assembly!  Five Area Lights.  A Zbrush HDR at about 10% to just show the box structure, with all other lighting from the physicals.  Stitched together the backdrop from a number of shots I took up in the Santa Fe Forest.  Rendered with the "Product" setting and Advanced Controls.  I did test "Interior", but could not see any improvement for this rig.

This project uncovered a number of issues, mostly dealing with import and updates, all of which I already reported and the Team is working on.

VERY impressed at how easy and responsive physical lights are now!  A joy to use.

One tidbit:  I usually do not merge features that I know will cause mapping issues later, or that I may not want to use.  An example is the awnings on the old buildings. That way, If I chose not to use them, they don't leave a hole in the underlying surfaces.  Also, the five physical lights are separate bodies, so I could adjust each to suit.  Very handy trick!

Used labels for all the "Old West" false-front buildings.

Gotta love KeyShot 6!

Bill G

TpwUK

Got to admit you do some different stuff Bill - looks great too

Martin

Speedster

As a designer you never know what walks in the door.  For the past nine months it's been a delivery device for heart valve replacement. But the variety is what makes it fun!
Bill G

Josh3D

I was wondering where this one was going! Super cool Bill!!