Main Menu

full size preview

Started by andy.engelkemier, June 10, 2015, 12:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

I know this isn't how keyshot works right now, but maybe this idea will help change that.

You enter your final resolution in the render menu and lock that down, or at least one side, so you can change camera ratios later. My width will always be 9000 pixels, for example.
Well, 9K pixels isn't going to fit in any monitor I can afford.
Because of that, you're stuck with seeing your image More like 1000 pixels wide give or take 200 or so, but lets say 1000 for easier math.
You get your brushed stainless steel grain just right. You adjust your speaker mesh. You make sure that leather pattern is Just right. Finally, you're ready to render. That bad boy gets pumped out and is 900% the size that you previewed it.
Poop! Your speaker mesh looks great because it was large enough you could count how many squares of it were supposed to fit, but all your fine textures are Giant. You didn't even Think about the size of the bump on your wall paint, but now it looks like someone painted it with silly putty you picked up off the carpet.

I imagine most of us have been there. Your fine textures just don't show up in the preview. So right now, you have to zoom in with a spare camera, then go back, and cross your fingers. The trick is, with textures like stainless steel, you May want to be somewhere in between reality, and being able to see some texture in order to communicate. At 9000 pixels, you may not be able to see the texture at all, so having it isn't really any better than just using an anisotropic shader. Realistically, you want it to just barely show up, so people recognize it as brushed. One thing you can do is render out a quick preview, just to see where you camera would be. Then create a duplicate of your camera and dolly in so that it's about the same view as your rendered image at 100%. Make your adjustment, then switch back to your render camera. And repeat for every material you want. Did anyone else recognize that as a step that seems like it should be unnecessary?

So how Should it work? Similar to region render. You select your region, then it shows you that in your view, blown up to 100% of your render size. Of course, this would require keyshot to Also remember your render size, something I have noticed doesn't actually happen. I think it may be able to a little better if you were able to lock one side. Doing things like creating a backplate, or changing cameras, seems to clear your render size.

It looks like we've already got real-time region coming in KS6. We just need one step further in a blow up view.

Esben Oxholm

That would actually be really nice.
The realtime region render is a great improvement, and being able to blow up the resolution of the region in another view would really add to it's functionality.

andy.engelkemier

yeah, it's a big win for keyshot users. Bunkspeed had it, then they took it away. Lets hope it stays once we get it.