Exploding Assembly

Started by Detox, July 03, 2015, 03:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Detox

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if it is possible to define an explosion in Creo itself and export it to Keyshot via plugin. There I want to animate it so that the components reassemble and my animation runs.

I hope you know what my intention is.  :)

Kind regards,

DetoX

TpwUK

Depends on the level of realism you want - I don't have version 5 installed at present (had to do a new OS install) but i am sure you can fade a material with version 5. So in theory a simple array of rotated planes so you get a * shape from the top view, set them as emitters with a gradient opacity map and then do a rapid fade over say 5 or 6 frames whilst rotating on the Y/Z axis (whichever is the up with Creo) should be enough to create the flash/explosion effect especially if added with motion blur that will give it a more gaseous effect.

Does that make sense ?

Martin

Detox

Well I just wanted to reassemble the exploded components in Keyshot and then animate it.

Is it really that complicated? Thought Keyshot knows I am exporting an explosion  :(

Maybe it is easier. Because "emmiters with gradient opacity map" do not tell me that much.  :-[

TpwUK

Ok - now i am confused too - lol

Do you want an exploded view or an Exploding special effect ?

Martin

Detox

lol. Thats probably I am not describing my problem good enough.

Yes just an exploded view, reassemble the explosion and then instantaneously let the animation of my V8 engine start.

TpwUK

Ahhhh ha - Now it makes sense :)

Since i don't know Creo i am at a disadvantage here but i can say my own method which you adjust to suit ...

If Creo will do the exploded view then you have a good starting point. Even better if it does this as an animation as you would just pass each frame of the animation through the Creo plugin to KS using the update geometry option.

If not then you can import the model into KeyShot either as exploded or as a whole assembly, then you can animate the parts you need with KS, however this would be tedious and time consuming if you had hundreds of parts to move. But manually animating parts in any package is a pain to do, so son't see it as a KeyShot weakness it's just par for the course.

The final option is to export the engine as an OBJ if possible, then import that into Blender or other animation package and you will then need to do the animating again as mentioned above, but the advantage with this method is better control of the timing and the ability to have the animation 'baked' into FBX format. That FBX can then be imported directly into KS and the animation will be available as a camera view, so you can now just add materials and render the animation as a whole. This way you get all the advantages of the editing tools available through an animation creation package without any materials or lighting etc so you can quickly edit timelines or paths etc and really fine tune things before you bake the animation. But being able to scroll through the sequence in near realtime is a massive bonus especially with complex scenes.

I hope i haven't over answered this :/

Martin

Rob Woods

That's a clever idea, I hadn't thought of going to Blender first, then back out to KeyShot.  You're quite right about animation being a pain point where ever you start, but this idea does take some of the tedium out of the process.  8)