Color HDR lights and translucency not working together -big limitation

Started by PeterXP, July 05, 2015, 06:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterXP

I don't see that color HDR lights and translucency materials are working together. To check this, place two lights with opposite color, blue and orange, in a opposite place in the sky. Expect that two sides of the model will lit with different colors but the result will be a solid uniform color mix of both colors. Not only skin, any material that has translucency in the options will have this problem, no matter if it is on or off the translucency.

The problem is that a material with translucency, no matter if the translucency is 0 or 10, will simply blend the two color lights in a uniform color in the full object diffuse with absolutely no tone change. Only specular is affected by the color lights, but not diffuse. Apart my tests I have not able to find in internet a single example of a character affected properly by two color lights, being all monochromatic, except the subsurface color and specular. The diffuse is a single solid color. If you see a tint that suggest it is working, then set specular to 0 and you will see all the color differences disappearing. Color specular is not a substitute for color diffuse.

Other materials that has no translucency works OK with some limitations. For example a flat floor, no matter what material, will act in the same way, but not sure if this is simply a normal logical behaviour  in lights that are far away. Something odd is that the shadows won't get the color of the opposite light to the shadow as would be logical.
Standalone lights works OK in all materials but they are slow and don't get the advantages of the quick workflow with HDR.