Main Menu

Keyshot for PS3?

Started by cash68, November 10, 2010, 01:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cash68

The PS3 is a very fast, very dedicated machine...     with a lot of POWER.

I think a Keyshot ported to PS3 would be pretty badass.   Since all the hardware is the same, you could optimize it quite well, plus it would give a lot of product development companies an opportunity to purchase a PS3, which would be... AWESOME. 

Think about it.   Keyshot (PS3) for $1000, plus PS3 for $300.   $1300 rendering machine capable of going toe to toe with modern hardware.     To build a machine that can do as many calculations as a PS3 would cost quite a bit.

guest84672

Didn't you post this somewhere before?

jbeau

The PlayStation 3 uses the Sony, Toshiba, IBM-designed Cell microprocessor as its CPU, which is made up of only one 3.2 GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and eight Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). The eighth SPE is disabled to improve chip yields. Only six of the seven SPEs are accessible to developers as the seventh SPE is reserved by the console's operating system. Graphics processing is handled by the NVIDIA RSX 'Reality Synthesizer', which can output resolutions from 480i/576i SD up to 1080p HD.The PlayStation 3 has 256 MB of XDR DRAM main memory and 256 MB of GDDR3 video memory for the RSX.

KS is mainly CPU intensive, so one 3.2GHz isn't really significant enough unless its a cluster of PS3's:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

quigley

Quite why product development companies being able to purchase a PS3 is AWESOME I'm not quite sure? Personally I can think of 1000 things my business needs before a PS3 or XBox.

The other thing to bear in mind is that games are developed specifically for the PS3 platform and a restricted set of delivery outputs. Most of the graphics you see in a game are quite low resolution compared to what you would need for a print campaign or even static HD slide shows.

It is no coincidence that some of the most graphically demanding simulation type games perform best on a high spec PC.