Spraying colors onto geometry?

Started by hugo, July 07, 2015, 12:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugo

The attached pic shows what appears to me to be a process that sprays colors onto 3d geometry
Unless I'm wrong, is this something I could do in KS going forward?

TpwUK

I think this is doable in version 5 onwards with the gradient material type.

Martin

hugo

Quote from: TpwUK on July 07, 2015, 12:52:50 PM
I think this is doable in version 5 onwards with the gradient material type.

I don't see a gradient material type in my version, .... care to elaborate, please!

TpwUK

There you go Hugo, a quick screen grab. Any material that supports colour, drop the texture type list down and select Gradient. Don't forget to use the Help file, it's a pretty good manual and can teach you a lot :)

Martin

edwardo

Maybe its a pipe dream, but id like to see a separate keyshot plugin (similar to HDR editor, or the new KS6 materials editor) to literally paint up your model on a part by part basis. Has anyone played with "Substance Painter"? Kind of like that I guess, but hopefully simpler. KS can import a lot of file formats, and can now export them as obj or stl. It would be great to be able to be able to create UV's (on the fly? even for NURBS?) and simply paint up each part of your model, get some dirt and rust, whatever. A layered approach like mud box or substance painter would be good, perhaps with ability to flip in and out of photoshop? Means and ways of linking colour/bump/spec/opacity together whilst painting would be helpful. Forgive my lack of technical jargon - I just a simple backwoods NURBS guy

E

hugo

Quote from: TpwUK on July 07, 2015, 04:53:04 PM
There you go Hugo, a quick screen grab. Any material that supports colour, drop the texture type list down and select Gradient. Don't forget to use the Help file, it's a pretty good manual and can teach you a lot :)

Martin

I'm scolding myself right now ....RTFM :)

cadjockey

Quote from: edwardo on July 08, 2015, 06:12:37 AM
Maybe its a pipe dream, but id like to see a separate keyshot plugin (similar to HDR editor, or the new KS6 materials editor) to literally paint up your model on a part by part basis. Has anyone played with "Substance Painter"? Kind of like that I guess, but hopefully simpler.

that sounds awesome!! I would second that, even if a simpler version.

I might have to play around with substance painter but it doesn't look suited to my Solidworks workflow. anyone successfully used it with such?

Rich

hugo

Quote from: cadjockey on July 28, 2015, 12:49:29 AM
that sounds awesome!! I would second that, even if a simpler version.
I might have to play around with substance painter but it doesn't look suited to my Solidworks workflow. anyone successfully used it with such?
Rich
Have a look at Substance Painter Videos, then decide if this is for you. .....Its not for me!
Why! ..... It lacks programmers that know how to make something complex, simple.

cheers!