Ability to make KS "partially transparent" on backplate

Started by Speedster, July 14, 2015, 04:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Not sure how to phrase this.  I'm working on a particularly vexing image with the model having to exactly match the backplate.  All the usual tools work fine.  But...  It sure would be neat to be able to create a partially transparent KeyShot image against the backplate for precision alignment, etc.  Similar to what you can do in Zbrush or Photoshop, for example.

Just dreaming...  Maybe not!

Bill G

TpwUK

I am not sure if this is the same, but i remember somebody wanting to do something like this before and they used a Plane with the backplate image applied and then scaled it using the plane and material settings until they got the camera angles and scaling correct with their model. I wonder if this is the same kind of scenario :/

Martin

Speedster

Kinda, sorta. 

In Zbrush, for example, you can make your working window partially transparent over an image of whatever you are trying to emulate or work to.  Great for portraits, etc.  In Photoshop you can make a layer partially transparent so you can better erase or adjust that layer against the underlying layer.

So imagine being able to make your KeyShot model partially transparent against the backplate to really fine tune it to fit...  The Perspective Adjustment is a huge step, especially in KeyShot 6 (and with Camera Shift), but sometimes not quite enough for the perfection us anal retentive types demand!

Bill G

TpwUK

Is it worth setting up a view set or something similar and have all your parts set to a diffuse material with say 40% opacity ?

Martin

Speedster

Great idea! I'll try it. But it would be so much easier to just draw down the transparency with a slider. And then give the code writers a long vacation to recover!
Bill G

PhilippeV8

Perhaps to add this to KS would be easy if you can add the option enable/disable to get the backplate to be a "front plate" .. then give a slider to change transparency of it.  This way it's a static image which you change transparency off, not a whole realtime render 3D window .. and you'd get similar results ..  Just make sure one can manipulate the 3D "layer" trough the "front plate" layer.

Speedster

Another great idea!  But maybe a "Front Plate" option is all that's needed, as you can easily create a semi-transparent image in Photoshop to use for setup, then hide it and use the real deal as a backplate.  I often create setup backplates with guidelines or perspective lines, then swap it out for the final render.

I think your Front Plate is a cool concept!

Bill G

edwardo

Speedster

QuoteIs it worth setting up a view set or something similar and have all your parts set to a diffuse material with say 40% opacity ?

Wow!  That is one of the best tricks in the annals of KeyShooting!  I used a clay @ 40% opacity, and it works like a champ!

You should share this as a tip in a separate post!

Bill G

TpwUK

LOL - I have never tried it, just thought it might work, it's how i set things up here when modelling from prints - Glad it worked for you bill :)

Martin