Turn off refraction index globally?

Started by mikejb, July 31, 2015, 03:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejb

When I import a model, KeyShot sets a default refraction index for all materials to 1.5, which of course adds reflections to all the materials in my model. For about 90%-95% of my materials, I don't want any reflections at all, so I labouriously click on most of my materials (sometimes numbering in the hundreds) and set each one's refraction index down from the default 1.5 to zero. This takes forever!

My question is; is there a way to tell KeyShot to import my models with refraction index set to 0, or is there some kind of global switch I can use that will set all materials refraction index to 0?

Mike.

TpwUK

I would think this would be achievable in the upcoming version 6 release via scripting ....

I am somewhat perplexed as to why you would want to turn it off though, what are you rendering that does not have an IOR ?

Martin

Despot

Change the materials that you do not want to be reflective to the 'Diffuse' material type... You will not see visible reflections on that material type. That's all you need to do.

J

mikejb

"what are you rendering that does not have an IOR ?"

Well, for a start off, fabric type materials, such as cotton.

"Change the materials that you do not want to be reflective to the 'Diffuse' material type."

Yes, I could do that, but that still means that I would have to change each material individually.

Chad Holton

Hi Mike,

Not sure that turning off refraction globally is a good idea. You mentioned that the majority doesn't use IOR but there are still some that need it, correct? Also, it sounds like you need to create your own custom materials (cotton) - are you saving these, so you can just DND them on other projects?

If you prefer not to save each material, you can start by DND a diffuse material onto your whole scene (Paste the diffuse material onto the main assembly in the scene tree - you may need to unlink the materials after doing this) and then DND colors from our color library onto the different pieces as needed.

Another thought - just setup the scene to have diffuse materials in the correct color before exporting from your modeling software (if possible). What modeling software are you exporting from?

Hope this helps,
Chad

Chad Holton

And another thought is to create a material template from a scene that you have already (materials with modified IOR) and using this template on any new scenes.