On Windows 10

Started by joseph, August 02, 2015, 11:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joseph

:) I bit the bullet and upgraded my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit to Windows 10 Home 64 bit. IRONCAD 2015 and KeyShot 5 for IRONCAD linking properly. Core parking seems to do a good job in general as it switches instantaneously on demand for KeyShot5, so no penalty on that one.
Still able to run my 32 bit Illustrator 9 without the graphics switching to a basic mode which is great.
  ::) FYI

Chad Holton

Thanks for the FYI, Joseph. I was debating on upgrading as well.

TpwUK

The only two apps I have heard of having issues so far are NAV and ZB4R7 ... I am sure there will be more lol

Martin

rectro30

Iv installed Win 10 64x, and so far iv had the following issues.

1: Upgraded from Win 7 64x, It corrupted my Local profile so would not let me sign into any MS service.
2: Made a new user account, no software worked as licence information got corrupt including Zbrush, and Keyshot.
3: Get some way through a render in Keyshot, then I get a sudden PC restart, happens over and over again. (Still got test to get to the reasons)  I think its the Win 10 drivers for my GTX 260 card.

I'm going to install Windows 7 on another HD and see if the rendering crashes stop, if they do then Windows 10 is the problem.  So far iv not gained from windows 10 upgrade, Cornata wants so much access to your private information, that by the time iv turned off most of the privacy settings, most things don't work to give me any gain.  I will report back if my rendering crashes are sorted, or not.

Dan.

Speedster

I just read today that the Win 10 "Forced Update", which you can't opt out of, is so corrupt that it sends your computer into a crashing loop.  Fire it up, it forces an update, which crashes the computer, and on-and-on it goes until you throw the whole damn thing out the window.

My associate just went with 10, and it was the "worst mistake I ever made".  Not his exact words, as the truth is not suitable for a family oriented forum!  None of his apps, which were a colossal pain to download and install, worked.

Thanks, but I'm sticking with Win7x64- they'll have to "pry it out of my cold dead hand", to quote Charlton Heston.

Win 8.1 sucks enough, but at least everything runs fine on my laptop.  But Win7 on my BOXX, thank you!

Bill G

jhiker

I believe Win10 allows you to roll back to Win 7 or Win 8 for the first 30 days after which the 'old' configuration is deleted.
Incidentally, you can apparently uninstall the Win10 updater (KB3035583) and hide it so you are not nagged in future.
I'm going to do this as I tried unsuccessfully to install Win10 twice and it failed towards the end of the installation both times. The error message, however, meant nothing to me so I don't really know what the problem was.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/dont-like-windows-10-heres-how-to-get-rid-of-it-11363996318375
http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-uninstall-kb3035583-the-windows-10-downloader-for-windows-7-and-8-1-75681/
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-app-and-its-icon-from-taskbar/

Will Gibbons

As Bill said, thanks for the update. I was wondering about 10. I'm also running Win7 on a Boxx and have never had a single issue... so if it ain't broke.... well... you know.

joseph

There was only one pc/notebook at home that had problems installing Windows10, an Acer Aspire S3. It failed to install 7 times but restored back to Windows 7. However found out from other forums that if sfc /scannow did show errors, you will have a hard time installing it. The Acer was reset to factory settings and l installed Windows 10 DVD from the ISO available at Microsoft, installed with out any hitch. As for the Dan's GTX 260 card, I think I read somewhere that Nvidia didn't include it on the latest driver, try the last release for Win8.1. The same scenario with Intel on Sandy Bridge IGP and Microsoft made it compatible with Windows10 on their end. One thing I did notice, core parking/unpark on demand cpu loading is instantaneous compared to Windows 7 where it took a hit that you may have disable the parking feature. The down side is and I am still figuring it out the battery drain while switched off on my MSI FX720 notebook.

quigley

One interesting addition to this thread might be this.

I updated to Windows 10 today on a Dell Precision workstation. After the installation SolidWorks 2015 and Keyshot 5 both crashed under File>Open and File>Save As or any dialogue that used these (like Import or the first Save of a new file). Existing files opened from the recent files icons opened and saved fine. Similarly live linking to Keyshot from Rhino 5 and SolidWorks 2015 both worked fine (though crashed when you did the save command).

So all in all a bit of a problem. However I tried to install Keyshot 6 beta thinking this would be OK, but it still crashed. Luxion tech support suggested I uninstall all the Dell software that comes with the computer as there is a known issue with that and Keyshot. I did, and Keyshot 5 and 6 both run well now, but SolidWorks 2015 still crashed out.

But I installed SolidWorks 2016 and that works well in W10.

So if you are updating to Windows 10 on a Dell, and have crashing problems try ditching the Dell applications.