Artifacts ( I guess it has to do something with GI)

Started by djorzgul, August 10, 2015, 05:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djorzgul

Hello everybody.

I am working on a visualization of a new candy :)
Client approved everything and I have to render out final images.

What I noticed is that no matter how long are render times or how ( reasonably) high I set the samples, there are always some artifacts visible. You'll notice the pixel like effect on cohocolate and date skin.

My real-time settings are:
On all translucent materials I set samples to 36
And in general settings ray bounces are at value of 12
Shadows are at 4
Two area lights I have in scene are set to 12 samples each

I believe I missed something since I am not that experienced with Keyshot.
So, some guidance would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,

Dj.

guest83783

Really lovely renders, I'm not sure about the artefacts - try changing the scale/units and see if that effects it - it will change the reflections and lighting on the model but you can adjust it.

One thing I've learned is not to expect too much from the package, in other words try to do some work in Photoshop to comp the scene.

Render to layers
Render with transparency
Clown render
Open in Photoshop, select layers and use the defringe command which can be found at the bottom of the layers drop down under 'matting'
Overlay your bits on the main image and add hand drawn shadows and highlights
By doing this it allows you to amend the exposure on each layer to tweak the image colours and contrast without applying them to everything in the scene
Lastly (and a poor answer) you'll quickly be able to add a simple box blur or Gaussian blur to each layer to remove the artefacts,

This gives you much more control and enables you to set your work apart from those who just press 'go' and hope for the best :)

Hope that helps a little!

djorzgul

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
In the end output quality was good enough for the client so I didn't bother too much with the issue.
Though I'll definitely try that thing with scaling everything next time.

Also, I did render out everything in passes so I could adjust images a bit more in photoshop ( still, must admit, I like the idea of getting best possible output out of renderer.. don't know why :) )

All the best,

Dj.

Will Gibbons

That pixelation effect is quite odd. I've noticed a bit of something similar when using translucent materials. Seems there may be some partiularities when it comes to those.