Flocking/Hair stubble

Started by menkei, August 19, 2015, 01:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menkei

Is it possible to generate a realistic flocking or hair/fiber texture in KS? This would be for the padded interior of a jewelry box. I've seen a render done by Metal Master (tennis ball) that is just really stunning but I have absolutely no idea how it was done.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

TpwUK

A hair shader is coming soon(ish) with KeyShot 6.1.x but until then you can use Blender for free to import an OBJ and apply hair/fibre/cloth effects to then bring it back into KeyShot to render. As for material type at present metallic paint seems to give a good starting point with plenty of options for controlling reflectivity and shininess along with tones and colour variations.

Martin

menkei

Thanks for the info Martin, I'll give Blender a go and see what I can come up with. I wasn't sure if the "furry" shots that I've seen so far were done in KS, or if they were done using some type of Photoshop/Post trickery.

Mike

Despot

Hello Mike

The Tennis ball's 'fur' was generated in Cinema 4D and imported as splines into KeyShot 6.

I have rendered hair on many occasions in KS and in my opinion, if you want dull unwashed hair, paint or plastic is the way to go, if you want clean hair, then the metal material with Curvature procedural in the colour slot allows you to shade the hair in a complex manner.

If you need fur for a jewellery box, send me the box and I'll do it for you.  :)

J

menkei

Hi J.

Thanks for the info. I'd like to take you up on your offer...I'll message you.

Thanks,

Mike