Region render in queue ?

Started by PhilippeV8, November 18, 2010, 07:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilippeV8

Since I keep running out of memory on a render, I often have to do region renders.  However I would like to do those overnight.  I haven't tried this yet, but is it possible to add varios region renders to the queue ??
If not, this would be a handy addition for a next version ..

guest84672

Try using the .exr format. This will not hold the image in memory.

PhilippeV8

What's the ".exr format" ?

> ah I see, it's an alternative to JPEG.  And why would this be any different to a JPEG render ?

PhilippeV8

Ok, from what I understand, an XP machine with 32bit can only give 2GB per program running.  So KeyShot can use only 2GB during a render.  If I want more, I'd need a 64bit system with vista or win7.  That however is not an option here due to server compatibility.  A second workstation with 64bit that is not in the server-network would be an option ... if they would let me have it :p

Now I wonder how come for a render does it use so much ram ??  Isn't it possible for KeyShot to keep an eye out on the max ram usage and before it reaches the limit, dump a jpg of what it's got so far, clear the ram and continue rendering the other part of the render and in the end either merge the jpg's or just create a second one ?

guest84672

That's why you should use .EXR. It does exactly that. EXR is a 32 bit image.

How big are the renderings you are producing?
How big are the files you are using?

PhilippeV8

I render in various sizes depending on what the DTP'ers ask.  But I have always 300dpi and minimal 2000 pix for the smalest dimension.  For printing that's OK, but sometimes they ask for more if it's for a forex.  (I don't know if "forex" is a standard used word, but here it's such a standing panel used on a trade fair).  The bip file size is between 100.000kb and 170.000kb.

guest84672

Again, EXR will solve your issues in this case.