Main Menu

sketches

Started by edwardo, August 30, 2015, 12:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardo

I want to put some (hand) sketch work into my website and was playing around with a way of showing it. I'm happy enough with the pens and pencils, but does anyone have any good tips on how to model loose sheets of paper that look natural? Really not happy with the way most of these sheets look, maybe its just a bit of trial and error.

thanks
E

PS. not my actual sketches - i just grabbed them off the web (incase anyone recognises them)

djorzgul

Ha, my first thought was why he's posting photos.. so paper isn't hat bad at all.
Maybe adding some texture/displacement on it would help?

edwardo

QuoteHa, my first thought was why he's posting photos..

lol, thats a good sign  ;D

Will Gibbons

Yeah, these are so crispy, I really like them. I wasn't 'fooled', but had to take a close look. I'd think some texture may help. Maybe some environmental shadows? I think the paper looks good though.

alexx

edwardo

QuoteYeah, these are so crispy, I really like them. I wasn't 'fooled', but had to take a close look. I'd think some texture may help. Maybe some environmental shadows? I think the paper looks good though

Thanks Will, some environment shadows might help... now who recently posted something whereby they had a plane with a tree/branch/leaves image out of frame, but still casting a bit of shadow?

I think the lack of realism comes from un-natural geometry - it all looks too 'stiff' or something. Im tempted to try Marvellous designer or similar. Also I think the materials themselves need work - surface textures need a bit of bump and fibres, and it could also probably do with some sort of transparency?

Anyhoo, thanks for comments.

E

Will Gibbons

Thanks Will, some environment shadows might help... now who recently posted something whereby they had a plane with a tree/branch/leaves image out of frame, but still casting a bit of shadow?

I think the lack of realism comes from un-natural geometry - it all looks too 'stiff' or something. Im tempted to try Marvellous designer or similar. Also I think the materials themselves need work - surface textures need a bit of bump and fibres, and it could also probably do with some sort of transparency?

Anyhoo, thanks for comments.

E
[/quote]

Might it have been Esben? I think I remember what you're referring to. Interesting idea. Also, I wonder about simply 'relaxing' the geometry a bit in post? Could you output each piece of paper on its own render layer, then distort them using the transform tool in PS just a tad bit? Also, what about dimples in paper? You know when you hold a sheet of paper between thumb and finger and it gets a small crescent-like crease in the surface, which then causes a very subtle shadow? Maybe a graphite smudge or two?

Good luck! Interested to see what you come up with!

Speedster

QuoteMight it have been Esben?

Yep it was Esben, with his posts of the dark glasses. Beta test, so should be easy to find.

Now- what your image needs is a sketch crumpled up in a ball, like most of mine were "back in the day"!

Bill G

edwardo

QuoteNow- what you image needs is a sketch crumpled up in a ball, like most of mine were "back in the day"!

Ha! Im having enough trouble modelling a fairly flat sheet of paper!! But agree, that would look good composition wise!

QuoteCould you output each piece of paper on its own render layer, then distort them using the transform tool in PS just a tad bit?

Im trying to avoid any post because the plan is to use this scene (and another few similar scenes) again and again, with any project I work on that requires a bit of hand sketching.

Thanks very much  for all input

E

TpwUK

Just give the paper a noise map in the bump or roughness if you are on beta, just to break that mono tone on the paper. If you are poly-modelling, then just run some cuts across the paper sheets, then pull some vertices to add a crease where needed.

Personally i think the bump/roughness should be enough :) ... God job Edwardo

Martin

edwardo

Thanks Martin, I'll get on it later. Iv been looking through a pile of old A4 sketches - all dog eared, visibly creased, and riddled with tiny torn edges - much rougher than my minds eye visualised!

Alang7™

Despot

Nice, to me it doesn't need changing... love the pens, very well done.

TpwUK

QuoteThanks Martin...  >:(

:-\  :-[

Martin

edwardo

i'm confused?? did I get someones name/post wrong?