Brushed stainless material does not look right

Started by JST, September 15, 2015, 07:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaroldL

Richard,
Those results look good in the hands of a master.
Could be that your techniques would make for a good webinar. ???

JST

Well I got some improvement from fiddling with it for a while.  It wasn't the only thing I had to do to the model, so it may have gotten short shrift.

A bit coarser than I really wanted, I need to learn more about the nuances of applying patterns.  Hopefully it comes through in the pic, sometimes the resolution gets cut quite a bit in the process of posting

As far as I can see, the version supplied with Geomagic Design does not have the HDMI efitor.   I'm not even quite sure what that stands for!

Can the texture be oriented by surface?   or just overall?  It came out ok on this by default, around the "bowl" and straight elsewhere, but I can see wanting to re-orient one surface on some items.

richardfunnell

Your stainless steel is looking much better! Your lighting has improved significantly as well, it looks much more realistic now. Sometimes getting everything perfect is a near-endless series of tweaks, especially to get it all in one shot.
The HDRI Editor is a KeyShot Pro feature which allows you to modify your lighting environment; this removes some of the reliance on physical lights & standard lighting environments. There are lots of other workflow additions as well.

To change the material properties for a single surface, assign each surface a different color in Geomagic. This would allow you to control the brush direction and any other parameters on a per-material basis so that the brush direction can be correctly applied. As the model is right now (with the entire part as a single material) you don't have that level of control.

Great work!

JST

To model, perchance to assign color by surface.......Aye, there's the rub.

GM currently does not assign by surface, which is normally not a problem.  So I'd have to overlay, which I can do if needed.  Or maybe build up the model in such a way as to have the different areas as separate pieces. Then they can be anything at all.

richardfunnell

Could you try boolean operations to avoid remodeling?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the GM workflow.

JST

Maybe, I'm not sure exactly what you are suggesting. 

I think GM will have to upgrade a few things now that they provide KS with the GM design program.  I already alerted them to a couple bugs that limited ease of use between the two.