How do you apply rounded edges to multiple parts simultaneously?

Started by Matheron, September 18, 2015, 06:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matheron

Hello Keyshot experts -

This is my first post, so please be kind. Running Keyshot 5.0.80 on Windows 8.1.

Say I have a model with 5000 parts, all different. I select 1000 of these parts.
Now, I want to apply a new and identical value of "Rounded Edges" radius to the 1000 selected parts.
How do I execute this?

If I select a single part, adjusting the rounded edges radius is easy.
But when I select more than one part, the setting for adjusting rounded edges just disappears.

Looking forward to a good answer.

tomlai

Drag Select multiple parts - FAIL
(once the upper branch in the scene tree gets selected rounded edges option disappears)

Ctrl-Click Select individual Parts - WORKS
@Keyshot ...this is such a pain!

Don't have an answer to this one

Matheron

Thank you, tomlai. To sum it up:

Your first suggestion = Fail
• The rounded edges setting just disappears.

Your second suggestion = Not even Fail
• It flaunts the question.

It is easy to select multiple parts, either manually in the model, or manually in the parts tree, or by search terms in the parts tree. But as soon as more than one part is selected, the scene window's rounded edges setting either just disappears or may remain but does not affect the selection. My question is not about how to select. My question is about how to apply the rounded edges setting to any given selection. Of course the question pertains to any per-part setting.

How can I apply rounded edges to multiple parts simultaneously?

Anyone?

INNEO_MWo

So you seen all the thousand parts in one shot?
Do you need all parts to be rounded?

Matheron

This question is about principles.
But for good pedagogics, here is an example - please see one attached image below.

@MWo - to answer your question:
• The dome in the attached image belongs to a model with roughly 11 000 parts. The dome itself has 4512 tiles in different sizes, colours, and orientations. From the view shown in the attachment, you should see about 2200 tiles. From a top view, you see just about all of them. Colouring tiles differently is easy, since one material can be applied to multiple parts at once, and colour belongs to the material. As you can see in the image, the edges of the tiles are too sharp. So, I need to apply rounded edges only to the 4512 tiles. It's all right that all of them receive an identical rounded edge value.

• Keyshot allows me to easily select all 4512 tiles at once, but then the rounded edges setting just disappears. Keyshot allows me to easily select one tile at a time and round its edges, but then I have to do this 4512 times. This requires 13 536 clicks.

This particular example is of subordinate importance, however.
The question remains one of principle:

edwardo

QuoteHow do you apply rounded edges to multiple parts simultaneously?

Hi, as it stands at the moment... you can't.... i think  :-[

E

INNEO_MWo

Ok, that's very tricky.
I would try to modify one column and use the pattern to each row. But then you got new work for defining the difference in the colors.

I have no solution yet.

fario

Hello,

before export, trying to create a addition Boolean operation with the parts group that will have the same color.

Like this, you have only one object.

Antoine

cadjockey

I don't have that many parts and it is a complete pain. I hope this is fixed in 6

Rich

hugo

Its possible I'm missing something here :-[
I thought KS was a rendering program, what does rounding geometry parts have to do with KS?
I would round the parts in your 3D creation program, or do a Catmull-Clark subdivision, prior to importing it into KS.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: cadjockey on October 05, 2015, 01:18:02 PM
I don't have that many parts and it is a complete pain. I hope this is fixed in 6

Rich

Yes, it is. I was able to define a radius to many parts in one step if every mesh is in the same group. (tested in KS6 Beta)

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: MWo on October 06, 2015, 06:04:34 AM
Quote from: cadjockey on October 05, 2015, 01:18:02 PM

Rich

Yes, it is. I was able to define a radius to many parts in one step if every mesh is in the same group. (tested in KS6 Beta)

Ahhh - that's the trick. I've tested same in KS 5.3 - if every mesh is in on group (search by name > move to one group and select the meshes from the group) it's possible to define the radius

Matheron

Thanks everybody for your replies.

@edwardo - I fear that you are right.

@Antoine - Technically, this should work, and rounding geometry in the modeler - as opposed to rounding in the renderer - will yield better results. If one can easily round corners in the modeler, I grant you that this is a better way. Keyshot's rounded corners function appears to be something of a hack. Why? Zoomed in, it does not look as good as an object whose geometry is rounded. Nevertheless it is very useful, especially for small values. But sometimes you do not have access to the original geometry. And even if you do, it can be rather tedious to do it in the modeler. Keyshot seems very close to being a very quick and very useful tool here, but not quite. Why? It simply cannot handle multiple parts at once. Your post answers another question.

@cadjockey - I concur.

@hugo - Sure. See also my answer to Antoine, above. It is just that Keyshot does offer this rounded edges functionality for every single part and it works pretty well. So, what is the good reason for Luxion's not offering it for two, three, or all parts at once? Hearken to the silence.

@MWo - Unless this pertains to Keyshot version differences, it does not work. I've got Keyshot 5.0.80. I've tried your suggestion, and it does not work. Have you checked the results? As I wrote in my second post in this thread, by searching the model's scene tree for a part name, you can indeed select many parts at once, and the scene window's rounded edges setting may indeed remain and can indeed be changed. Still, the change does not affect the selection. It looks like you have applied rounded edges on multiple parts, but in fact nothing happens, not even an error message. Which in a way is even worse.

@Luxion - Are you monitoring your own product's forum? Is there a way to apply rounded edges to multiple independent parts simultaneously?
If no - when might it be implemented? If yes - how?

So the question remains:

hugo

Allow me to ask a related issue pertaining to this subject:
If these cubes or other repeating geometry, like the roof tiles, were proxies, and had the required rounded edges,
would the use of proxies decrease the render time in KS ?