Render Window - MODELESS WINDOW

Started by tomlai, September 22, 2015, 10:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomlai

When rendering is completed it should not be necessary to formally dismiss the Render Window to return to the Main Keyshot Workspace Window.

We should not be compelled to press the Render Complete tick mark when rendering is complete.

TpwUK

I beg to differ, if that window was to close after a ten hour render and you never got to check if it was a good result you would be cussing because you would then need to go hunting on your HDD/SSD to find the image. Don't forget you can also adjust gamma, bloom and others from that screen too, so again it makes sense for it to hang around until you are satisfied with your render one way or another.

Martin

tomlai

Your argument does not hold, simply because KS itself closes the Render Window after about a minute or so after a RENDER IS COMPLETED.

Also in its present implementation there is only one directory within Keyshot Resources where any Rendered image is stored (You have no control over that) ...

I am not asking for the render window to close, but simply for us to have access to the MAIN KEYSHOT Window without having to close the Render window when render is complete (and to prevent access to MAIN WINDOW while render is in progress ... simply because we cannot start a fresh render without completing/cancelling current render)

TpwUK

Ah well i guess we will have to agree to disagree then ...

QuoteAlso in its present implementation there is only one directory within Keyshot Resources where any Rendered image is stored (You have no control over that) ...

Not true, you can select the folder where you want the render to be output

QuoteI am not asking for the render window to close, but simply for us to have access to the MAIN KEYSHOT Window without having to close the Render window when render is complete (and to prevent access to MAIN WINDOW while render is in progress ... simply because we cannot start a fresh render without completing/cancelling current render)

I will agree to disagree ... I would prefer the render window to stay open until i close it, KS is quick and if i am busy seeing to other tasks it actually infuriates me to have to go file trawling to find my render. Why would you want to be getting to the KS main window whilst doing a render anyway ? The only reason to do that would be to make changes to the scene, and since the main render can't update on the fly that point is pretty much mute. I don't know how long you have been using KeyShot but as you get more experienced with it you will see that most of it makes sense and is pretty logical.

Martin

tomlai

I totally agree with you on not being allowed access WHILE a render is being processed. As I have been stating from the initial post, I want Keyshot render window to be modeless AFTER render is COMPLETED. That's when you see 100% render done and the Tick mark appears in place of the X while render is processing.

As you rightly say, it defeats the purpose if rendering process is interrupted before it is completed. So window behaviour to change AFTER completion of render.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: tomlai on September 22, 2015, 11:56:00 AM
(and to prevent access to MAIN WINDOW while render is in progress ... simply because we cannot start a fresh render without completing/cancelling current render)

You can if you choose 'render in background'. Then you'll be able to work in the main window preparing a new scene/model/lighting/etc. for the next rendering while the first one is being calculated.

Accessing the main window when not 'rendering in background' maybe makes no sence as you state.

tomlai

Wow ... the solution was there all along ... thanks Ebsen.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: tomlai on September 23, 2015, 10:30:03 PM
Wow ... the solution was there all along ... thanks Ebsen.

No problem, tomlai. Glad to help :)