SEIKO Premier + Other Renders

Started by Martin Kamminga, September 25, 2015, 10:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Kamminga

Hello!

Since this is first post here, I am Martin, an 18-year-old dude building a portfolio ::)
I plan to study 3D Production/VFX next year.

My latest project was a seiko timepiece. The only reference used was the same watch sitting around my wrist the entire time. ;)
I hope you guys like it!

Shubham_Kapoor

These are pure gold renders :D
A very very impressive first post, Awesome work on these renders.
Really look forward to see your more works.
Awesome Work Again :)

-Shubham

Martin Kamminga

Quote from: Shubham_Kapoor on September 25, 2015, 10:41:25 AM
These are pure gold renders :D
A very very impressive first post, Awesome work on these renders.
Really look forward to see your more works.
Awesome Work Again :)

-Shubham

Thank you for the kind words Shubham :)

Speedster

Hey, Martin!

18 years old?  Holy crap, you "kids" are scaring the hell out of me!  I've been a self-employed designer for over 43 years now, and yes, I had another business when I was your age.  But this is a whole new world now with CAD and CG, and you guys are roaring!

Top notch work!  The "depth" of the third render is awesome, as is the DOF. What modeling app did you use?
Thanks so much for sharing!

You have a HUGE career ahead of you, my friend!

Bill G

Arian Shamil

All of them.....Amazing!
Very nice stuff here! :)

alexx

The DOF is amazing!
really High End Stuff

Martin Kamminga

Quote from: alexx on September 25, 2015, 05:21:07 PM
The DOF is amazing!
really High End Stuff

Quote from: Arian Shamil on September 25, 2015, 04:20:32 PM
All of them.....Amazing!
Very nice stuff here! :)

Thank you so much Arian and Alex! :)

Quote from: Speedster on September 25, 2015, 02:03:56 PM
Hey, Martin!

18 years old?  Holy crap, you "kids" are scaring the hell out of me!  I've been a self-employed designer for over 43 years now, and yes, I had another business when I was your age.  But this is a whole new world now with CAD and CG, and you guys are roaring!

Top notch work!  The "depth" of the third render is awesome, as is the DOF. What modeling app did you use?
Thanks so much for sharing!

You have a HUGE career ahead of you, my friend!

Bill G

Thanks for the motivational words! :)
The reason I got into CGI was all about curiosity. Oh, and since this generation is growing up in a world full of 3D (in almost every digital medium), it's easy to get hooked :D 
For these renders I used 3DS Max for modeling, pretty much all of it using SubD techniques. The leather strap was sculpted in Mudbox :)

Martin

Will Gibbons

Yeah. Like John and Bill, my reaction is whaaa? I wish I was where you're at when I was 18. I was just learning what industrial design was. Super-nice work man. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine, haha. No criticism from me!

Martin Kamminga

Quote from: The Metal Master on September 26, 2015, 06:01:57 AM
Brilliant first post Martin...

Wow, you're 18 ??  :o when I was that age, the only thing on my mind was getting rid of my acne and bedding girls (in that order)

Can't wait to see more of your stuff

J :)

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on September 26, 2015, 08:10:51 AM
Yeah. Like John and Bill, my reaction is whaaa? I wish I was where you're at when I was 18. I was just learning what industrial design was. Super-nice work man. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine, haha. No criticism from me!

Thanks for the replies! I was very fortunate discover my passion at a young age :)

Esben Oxholm

What they said.

Pretty great renderings! I look forward to see more of your work.

Arn

Can I ask how you modelled the watch band? I cannot get over how natural that looks with all the imperfections. That stitching is amazing.

Martin Kamminga

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on September 27, 2015, 03:13:52 AM
What they said.

Pretty great renderings! I look forward to see more of your work.

Quote from: Arn on September 27, 2015, 11:02:19 AM
Can I ask how you modelled the watch band? I cannot get over how natural that looks with all the imperfections. That stitching is amazing.

Thanks guys! :)

As for the leather,
I made a base mesh in 3DS Max, and imported it into mudbox.
In mudbox I started by drawing the basic pattern of the leather.
Once finished I used the spray tool with some leather textures to get a real leather finish without using bump maps.
The large imperfections where done using some manual deformations. Here you can see the mudbox file:

Btw, this is a very dirty method, your mesh gets so high poly, that the wireframe was a solid color back in 3DS Max  :-X
Wouldn't make a client happy :P

The stitching was relatively easy,
I made an array of four cilinders in 3DS Max, and added a twist modifier to simulate a stitch effect,

It's difficult for me to explain, I hope it helped :)
Martin

Magnus Skogsfjord

Just throwing in a +1 here. These look fantastic! Great stuff.

PhilippeV8

Westvleteren (y)

You know to find the best beers in the world  ;)
I live 50km from Westvleteren.

edwardo

Great work Martin! You're leather strap looks great - some things can never be bumped on! I also love your robot guy - he's full of character, and a great render too!

Like everyone else has said, I'm astounded that your 18 years old and producing work of this caliber! For my sake (and a few of the other old duffers on this forum) I hope your peaking young and it will all be downhill from here!  :P  (just kidding)

Looking forwards to seeing more of your work!

E