Main Menu

Leica M9 WIP

Started by Will Gibbons, September 26, 2015, 08:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

I'm currently rendering this Leica M9, which was downloaded from Dimensiva.com.

Attached is where it's currently at. This is one pass/render and in Photoshop I did some color balance, grain, lens flare, exposure and a bloom effect.

I'm not sure how to get the numbers/letters on the front of the lens as shown in the reference image. Is there a way to take a rectangular label and wrap it in a circular motion within KeyShot, or will I need to make a new label?

Also, I've had a bit of a hard time setting up lights to get an interesting glass/lens area without blowing out the rest of the image... may be time to use render layers.

What else could I do to make this really eye-catching?

Thanks!

Despot

Cool render Will... I like the faded/filtered feel

J (D) :)

Arian Shamil

Lovely works....Love it!!!!!
;) 8) 8) 8)

INNEO_MWo

Hi.

First, cool model, nice render.

My opinions:
The lens flare is too much. Regularly I create lens flares on a separate layer filled with 50% grey and soft light as blending option.
Then I can control transparency and the flare colors much better.

IMHO there a too many reflections from the ground.

And to your question. You need to create the wrapped text as a separate label in PhotoShop.
Create a new image with the size of the diameter from the lenses with 100dpi.
Place some path (circles) in the middle. Write your texts as needed and save the result with alpha.
Now you have the perfect label for your model.
If you have problems to place this label, the link a dummy part with same material as the lens housing in the center. (perhaps you know the steps)

Will Gibbons

Will Gibbons

Will Gibbons

Quote from: MWo on September 26, 2015, 11:23:50 PM
Hi.

First, cool model, nice render.

My opinions:
The lens flare is too much. Regularly I create lens flares on a separate layer filled with 50% grey and soft light as blending option.
Then I can control transparency and the flare colors much better.

IMHO there a too many reflections from the ground.

And to your question. You need to create the wrapped text as a separate label in PhotoShop.
Create a new image with the size of the diameter from the lenses with 100dpi.
Place some path (circles) in the middle. Write your texts as needed and save the result with alpha.
Now you have the perfect label for your model.
If you have problems to place this label, the link a dummy part with same material as the lens housing in the center. (perhaps you know the steps)

MWo,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

Great suggestion about the lens flare... read my mind. Wasn't sure about being able to control it better.
The reason for the reflections you mention I think is because I'm using a physical light placed low to illuminate the glass of the lens. It ends up being a bit much for the rest of the camera. Maybe I need to remove the table to get better illumination from the HDRI on the camera.

I'll follow your instructions for the label. All I have is the label provided by the creator of this model. Not sure which typeface he used, because Leica's typeface is a custom, copyrighted one. I'll make it work though.

Thanks again!

INNEO_MWo

Ah, yeah - selecting the right typo can ne difficult. Maybe 'whatthefont' can help to find the (nearly) right one?! I'm sure, that this is an ISO or JIS typo.

creative week launch!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: MWo on September 27, 2015, 10:29:22 PM
Ah, yeah - selecting the right typo can ne difficult. Maybe 'whatthefont' can help to find the (nearly) right one?! I'm sure, that this is an ISO or JIS typo.

creative week launch!

I actually found out two things... 1, it's a typeface only Leica has access to and 2, the original artist who made the model told me he usually hand-traces logos/type in PS or AI because lots of companies use proprietary typefaces. Ah well. I decided to use a Photo to create a label.

Will Gibbons

Here we go. Nearly complete... just going to thumbnail out a few frames and then do a handful of hi-res renderings and maybe a short animation to add to the portfolio. I like where this ended up. Suggestions always welcome.

Of course, there's a good deal of Photoshop here. Mostly color, exposure, some scratches/dirt and dust.

Esben Oxholm

Very nice improvement!
The images feels a little soft, but I think that is a matter of taste. I would probably bring out some details and harden edges in Photoshop to make it a bit more sharp looking.

I like the subtle details that you have in the materials.

The cropping feels a bit weird to me. I would put the blank space in the opposite site to have some room the way the lens is facing.

Overall, I think you did a great job. You should most def go for that animation :)

INNEO_MWo

Ohhh-Yeah. These Images are stunning good! The lens flares are to much for me. That makes the entire picture lil too blurry / soft. But it's your work.
Your renders are really near to the photos finding in google & Co.

Great work!

Will Gibbons

Thanks both to Esben and MWo.

Since soft imagery is a common trend among my renders I thought I should include what KeyShot spit out without any Post.

Esben, I hear you on this being an odd composition. This isn't the final glam shot. I just wanted to get some detail from the lens. Now that it's textured and lit, I'll try a few different angles.

Cheers.

INNEO_MWo

I like the ground texture. That wood looks nearly real. It has some tile problems. You can see a row left side of the cam.
But I still like the color, the specular and the light bump.

Good work

Despot

Nice Will, good practical use of Mold-Tech on the camera body - I agree about the tiling issue though

Also, there are pinching issues on the geometry where the metal of the camera body meets the table

Very nice scratch and dust work in PS :)

J