Recreating bedroom interior, please critique

Started by jet1990, October 15, 2015, 03:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jet1990

Hi all,

I am on the ongoing pursuit of enhancing my rendering skills with a particular interest in archviz shots. Cant wait for the interior mode in version 6 as ive heard some really good stuff. Please see attached my version of a "modern bedroom" from google.

My render settings are:
samples 64
ray bounces 18
indirect bounces 23
anti aliasing 2
shadows 10
GI 1

Render size was 1600 x 899 @ 300 dpi with a render time of just under 3 hours

please let me know what you think! I know its not perfect. i can see some speckling on the bottom surfaces and its really annoying me. I could do with some post work to blur the line around the light.

Will Gibbons

Unfortunately, when replying to a comment, we lose sight of the image... would be nice to be able to refer back and forth. For now, I'll have to settle with opening another tab for reference. Now, to answer your questions:

At first, I thought the top one was your rendering and my jaw dropped. However, I think you can take some simple steps to improve your rendering and get it closer to matching the image.

Here's what I'd do:
[Before getting caught up in the details, begin by addressing the big stuff.]

1. Your lens is too wide, try to reduce the distortion by going to a narrower like 40-50mm. Use the edge of gray wall for reference.
2. Match the color of the pouf in the left-corner with the one in the photo.
3. Your scene is lacking the shadows/contrast that make the top image look right. Try increasing hdri contrast or image settings.
4. The wood texture/material should be rotated 90 degrees on the bed. Even from a manufacturing standpoint, a bed constructed the way you've rendered it would be very costly and unlikely.
5. Go ahead and bump the contrast of the wood material up on the bed.
6. Change grain direction on the side table (just like you do for the bed).
7. Your lamps could be more round. Just scale them up in the Y axis on the move/transform options in KS.
8. Add some warmth to the light the lamp is putting out (make it more yellow).
9. Reduce refraction index on the bed mattress (currently, it's reflecting the environment), try dropping it to about 1.1 or 1.2.
10. If you are struggling to get the hard shadows at the bottom of the gray wall and wood cabinets in the background, add a cube in KS Edit>Add Geometry>Cube, apply a rough black plastic material and then scale it until it fits underneath those two areas. It will look pretty similar to the shadow in the google image.
11. I'd add a plane and apply a light material to it to cast those hard shadows and highlights you see in the sample image. You can select an option to make it 'hidden to camera' and the plane will disappear.

I think with those adjustments, you'll be pretty close. You can then make edits in Photoshop (or something similar) after to fine-tune exposure, color etc.

If any of this is confusing, package up the KSP and upload it and I'll gladly make the changes I suggested and send it back for you to examine.

Cheers and good luck!

KeyShot

Perhaps, you can contact beta@luxion.com to try KS 6 on your scene. The new interior lighting mode should address the issues you are seeing.

INNEO_MWo

ok - there are still things to do.

I agree with the most advises from Will. But I would use a diffuse material on the bed sheet. Don't know why it has to reflect anything, or is it plastic sheet? And also I would use a flat or diffuse material on the bottom of the walls to reduce these reflections.
Maybe you can reduce the indirect bounces or deactivate the experimental features - then your render time should be faster. In most renderings I can't see the big difference between shadow quality from 5 to 10.

The google example could be a rendering too - or am I wrong?

so, let us see your next versions

syrom

The issue i see worth the tender besides the lighting being slightly off,  is the dimensions. That's a common issue i noticed on new modelers. Learn to adapt  to the unit system and model everything bar on true measurements. 

jet1990

Thanks for the comments guys! ill start making the changes now...stay tuned....

jet1990

update...

lamp adjusted
wall has been changed to a diffuse material as opposed to advanced.
I changed the brightness and contrast on the HDRI... (i noticed that when i adjusted them to the same settings in the environment tab and then HDRI editor i got two diff results, any reason why?)
Material rotated 90deg ( doesnt have a bump map)

The most frustrating thing is the lighting. Ive downloaded a tonne of free HDRI but they always seem either too dull or dont help cast the right shadows.

Ill attach the KSP file for anyone to play with.

jet1990

IT doesnt seem to be letting me attach the KSP file? lookking at my previous post it looks like its the same thing! which really annoys me

Will Gibbons

Hey,

There's a good chance your .ksp file is too large to be attached. Try uploading it to dropbox or google drive and share the download link (be sure to have permissions set to allow people with the link to edit/download)

As mentioned before, I'd love to try and see if I can help you out.

jet1990

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on October 27, 2015, 09:51:03 AM
Hey,

There's a good chance your .ksp file is too large to be attached. Try uploading it to dropbox or google drive and share the download link (be sure to have permissions set to allow people with the link to edit/download)

As mentioned before, I'd love to try and see if I can help you out.

how is this??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iayepaltdtj6bjt/modern%20bedroom.ksp?dl=0

Will Gibbons

Quote from: jet1990 on October 27, 2015, 08:46:10 AM
update...

lamp adjusted
I changed the brightness and contrast on the HDRI... (i noticed that when i adjusted them to the same settings in the environment tab and then HDRI editor i got two diff results, any reason why?)

The most frustrating thing is the lighting. Ive downloaded a tonne of free HDRI but they always seem either too dull or dont help cast the right shadows.

If I've got this right, the reason you got two different results on brightness is that the settings for the HDRI apply to the HDRI only (think of the HDRI as an image and you're increasing brightness). The Environment settings apply to the light throughout the physical space in your scene. Since the brightness of environment and HDRI are different, increasing them will result in different final results.

Also, after I opened it up, it looks like you had your 4 walls and ceiling on, so you were trying to render the inside of a box. Without a way for the light to enter the room from your light source/HDRI, your scene won't be well lit. KeyShot 6's interior mode makes it easier to get the results you want, but as I'm playing with your scene in KS5, I'm finding it makes most sense to hide the walls not shown to let the light from your HDRI into the scene. So, if you've got walls blocking your light, no amount of different HDRIs will result in any changes in your scene.

I'm writing this while I wait for the render to complete. It's hella grainy right now, so not sure how long it'll take to smooth out. I generated a new HDRI using KeyShot 5's HDRI generator to get sunlight coming in from the right location.

I also noticed your scene units were set to mm, too small for something as large as a room, so I changed to inches. This may help and keep you from needing to scale items up so large or small.

I've added some additional planes and added a light material to them to try and 'fill in' the areas that needed better lighting.

I went ahead and opened your wood material for the bed in PS, turned it into a black and white image and then bumped contrast. I then used this for both the color texture and bump, then just did a 'blend with color' to get the right color. To tone it down a bit, I decreased the contrast and brightness a lot. Hope that makes sense.

I'll post the result when it's done. I hope this helps some. I can tell you that when you're using KS6 this should get a shit ton easier. The hardest aspect of recreating this image seems to be getting the nice hard cast shadows.

jet1990

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on October 28, 2015, 09:21:57 AM
Quote from: jet1990 on October 27, 2015, 08:46:10 AM
update...

lamp adjusted

If I've got this right, the reason you got two different results on brightness is that the settings for the HDRI apply to the HDRI only (think of the HDRI as an image and you're increasing brightness). The Environment settings apply to the light throughout the physical space in your scene. Since the brightness of environment and HDRI are different, increasing them will result in different final results.

Also, after I opened it up, it looks like you had your 4 walls and ceiling on, so you were trying to render the inside of a box. Without a way for the light to enter the room from your light source/HDRI, your scene won't be well lit. KeyShot 6's interior mode makes it easier to get the results you want, but as I'm playing with your scene in KS5, I'm finding it makes most sense to hide the walls not shown to let the light from your HDRI into the scene. So, if you've got walls blocking your light, no amount of different HDRIs will result in any changes in your scene.

I'm writing this while I wait for the render to complete. It's hella grainy right now, so not sure how long it'll take to smooth out. I generated a new HDRI using KeyShot 5's HDRI generator to get sunlight coming in from the right location.

I also noticed your scene units were set to mm, too small for something as large as a room, so I changed to inches. This may help and keep you from needing to scale items up so large or small.

I've added some additional planes and added a light material to them to try and 'fill in' the areas that needed better lighting.

I went ahead and opened your wood material for the bed in PS, turned it into a black and white image and then bumped contrast. I then used this for both the color texture and bump, then just did a 'blend with color' to get the right color. To tone it down a bit, I decreased the contrast and brightness a lot. Hope that makes sense.

I'll post the result when it's done. I hope this helps some. I can tell you that when you're using KS6 this should get a shit ton easier. The hardest aspect of recreating this image seems to be getting the nice hard cast shadows.

Ahh thank you! im looking forward to the results! it would be interesting to take your modified scene and re render with the same settings on my PC to see how it compares.

The issue with the walls. I made the far right walls a glass at the start but i got alot of clouding and speckling so i simply hid those walls and allowed the HDRI to shine through.

Im so used to using the metric system here in the UK that i never thought that the units would matter as i thought that it would automatically adjust to suit the conversion from mm to inches.

Will Gibbons

Here's what I've got after a bit of playing around. I'll admit, it's not pretty... I was having trouble controlling the noise. This is after 50 min of rendering and I wasn't willing to let it go any longer. I had max samples set to 500.

You're welcome to see if you can get it to render out cleaner. Also, you can make adjustments to lighting based upon my final render.

I did some Post in PhotoShop to get it a bit closer...  The second image is your reference image just for comparison. The final image is the raw render. 

Here's the edited KSP with the changes I made: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5s2pOHlSIPbNDJUYzRCcFdQNFU/view?usp=sharing