Dark loft, evening light

Started by Will Gibbons, November 06, 2015, 05:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

Hey all,

Unfortunately this image has fallen short of what I had in mind for a few reasons. I've also been looking at it for too long, so I'm asking for any and all kinds of criticism. Just looking to improve the image. I'll probably go with a different view/composition for the final. I'm thinking that this view is too wide which makes it tough to appreciate the texturing work that went into each object.

Image is a raw render out of KS. No post or effects within KS.

Thanks in advance.

Speedster

Actually, I like the composition- reminds me of college, with no heat and a toaster as my only cooking appliance!

With the amount of light coming in, there would be a lot of reflected ambient light everywhere.  So I suggest adding in some IES or Diffuse lighting with carefully placed planes to stick them to.  IES would be best as you can hide them.  Also, depending on your set rig, really play with your HDR- very low brightness would be best.  All you want is a bit of filled ambient light in the foreground, but not wipe out your strong source throwing light on the walls and casting such great shadows.

Then throw this puppy into KeyShot 6 beta and use Interior Lighting mode!

Bill G

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Speedster on November 06, 2015, 06:30:54 AM
Actually, I like the composition- reminds me of college, with no heat and a toaster as my only cooking appliance!

With the amount of light coming in, there would be a lot of reflected ambient light everywhere.  So I suggest adding in some IES or Diffuse lighting with carefully placed planes to stick them to.  IES would be best as you can hide them.  Also, depending on your set rig, really play with your HDR- very low brightness would be best.  All you want is a bit of filled ambient light in the foreground, but not wipe out your strong source throwing light on the walls and casting such great shadows.

Then throw this puppy into KeyShot 6 beta and use Interior Lighting mode!

Bill G

Thanks Bill. I can relate to your college experience as well.

I suppose I could have offered a bit more information. This is a fully-enclosed room and its lit with a custom-generated sun/sky HDRI. It was rendered in KeyShot 6 Beta and Interior mode is turned on. In a new version I'll render with the overhead lights (9 total) turned on, which should help, but I'm concerned about killing the mood. I was hoping to reproduce that magic moment (around dinner time this time of year) when the sun comes streaming into your house and everything turns golden and you pause for a moment just to admire the lighting.

Thanks for the comment and tips!

Speedster

Ah- it looked like a 6 beta interior!  Real depth and density with IES lighting.

Looking at it more carefully, I think the interior and HDR lighting color does not relate to the backplate "whiteness", if that makes sense.  I had the same issue with my Santa Fe Compound (in KeyShot 6 beta).  I first tried to tweak it in post, but my goal was no post.  So I did the backplate rework in pre, kinda sneaking up on it.  You may want to do the same, or perhaps even find another appropriate backplate that's not so blown out and white.  Like a moody industrial area.

The evening sun, as filtered through the atmosphere, can be really magical.  I think that's the mood you are after, and I think most of it can be done in pre on the backplate, in concert with the IES colors and intensity.

Is it truly an "enclosed volume"?  Or is there a viewport (as I use) to allow the camera in?  If the latter, it's leaking HDR lighting in, and you may need to put a "box" around the viewport to truly enclose the scene as a water-tight volume.  I'm playing with that now, with window panes cut through to throw shadows from behind the camera.

Bill G

ErtanK

I really like the mood and the texturing of the floor looks perfect. I wouldn't necessarily say that the scene needs more light. Looking at it closely I assume that the dark floor color absorbs too much light energy and kind of prevents a more obvious light distribution to the interior.

Have you tried with a light wooden color just for comparison purposes?

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Speedster on November 06, 2015, 08:39:03 AM
Ah- it looked like a 6 beta interior!  Real depth and density with IES lighting.

Looking at it more carefully, I think the interior and HDR lighting color does not relate to the backplate "whiteness", if that makes sense.  I had the same issue with my Santa Fe Compound (in KeyShot 6 beta).  I first tried to tweak it in post, but my goal was no post.  So I did the backplate rework in pre, kinda sneaking up on it.  You may want to do the same, or perhaps even find another appropriate backplate that's not so blown out and white.  Like a moody industrial area.

The evening sun, as filtered through the atmosphere, can be really magical.  I think that's the mood you are after, and I think most of it can be done in pre on the backplate, in concert with the IES colors and intensity.

Is it truly an "enclosed volume"?  Or is there a viewport (as I use) to allow the camera in?  If the latter, it's leaking HDR lighting in, and you may need to put a "box" around the viewport to truly enclose the scene as a water-tight volume.  I'm playing with that now, with window panes cut through to throw shadows from behind the camera.

Bill G

Thanks again for the ideas Bill. This is truly an enclosed space with the camera backing right up against a wall. I catch your drift about making a space for the camera though and that's clever.

Regarding the backplate, you're dead-on. This was a placeholder one I grabbed from Google and have no rights to anyway. I'll try shooting my own tomorrow night at sunset ;) and if that doesn't work, I'll take your suggestion with adjusting a backplate in PS before the rendering. Good thought.

Much of my reference photos show nearly pure white blown-out windows because the photog has metered the shot for the interior, not the exterior/sunset, so if I really get into trouble, that tactic is my escape route.

And for my Beta image contest entry, I'll be using a tighter shot than this one. I'm just feeling better about it from a compositional and detail standpoint.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: ErtanK on November 06, 2015, 02:10:14 PM
I really like the mood and the texturing of the floor looks perfect. I wouldn't necessarily say that the scene needs more light. Looking at it closely I assume that the dark floor color absorbs too much light energy and kind of prevents a more obvious light distribution to the interior.

Have you tried with a light wooden color just for comparison purposes?

ErtanK, cheers! Thanks for the compliment. Much of the darkness in this shot is coming from having only one light source (HDRI) and yes, the darker floors darkens it up a lot. I don't want to change the color of those however, so if I choose to light this scene better, it'll come from 'turning on' some of the physical ceiling lights that are part of the scene.

syrom

On your scene, I would use a total of 4 invisible light emitting planes with a white outside hdri. 2 large light blueish planes for each window just outside the frame. And a medium size plane  on the wall where the sun is hitting with a soft  warm light yellow hue. Finally a very light blue hue large plane on the ceiling.  Those 4 planes working together will help the outside white light in filling in the while room and giving you good GI.

Josh3D

I really like the direction you're going with this Will.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Josh Mings on November 13, 2015, 01:03:06 PM
I really like the direction you're going with this Will.

Thanks, this was actually leading up to my Beta Image Contest entry. I'll revisit it though as I can see ways to get a better image/result out of the scene.