Interior mode VS non-interior mode.

Started by Esben Oxholm, November 10, 2015, 09:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esben Oxholm

So, I did a little test.
All the settings are the same except for the interior mode being active in one of the renderings
They both ran for 4.5 hours on my laptop.

Can you guess which one is the interior mode?

TpwUK

I Think Image .172 is the interior lighting mode because there is better GI to my eyes in that render

Martin

Despot

.171 is the Interior mode render...  I think I can see the telltale signs of where it's blending the shadows together or whatever it is that it's doing at that point, doing some kind of  light pass merge ?

Anyway, watch me be wrong ;)

J

Despot

Looked again more closely and it's definitely .171...

I've quickly comped something together comparing similar visual characteristics that my Attic Space and Esben's  .171 render share...

J

Speedster

Well, I'm going with 172.  There's a subtlety, depth and density, and a lack of banding compared to 171.
Bill G

PhilippeV8

Why is there so little difference !  :o  :-\

edwardo

I'll go with 172 because some of the shadows on the wall texture look softer (meaning more GI / indirect bounces?). However I have seen that banding John pointed out when I turn interior mode on. So ..... I dunno

Are you actually going to tell us, Esben?  ;)

Esben Oxholm

*Drumroll*
The .171 is the interior one.
Quote from: Despot on November 10, 2015, 10:53:12 AM
Looked again more closely and it's definitely .171...

I've quickly comped something together comparing similar visual characteristics that my Attic Space and Esben's  .171 render share...

Great comparison, Despot. I'm not sure those characteristics are realistic. I actually prefer the non-interior where it seems more smooth.

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on November 11, 2015, 02:40:12 AM
Why is there so little difference !  :o  :-\

I also got surprised by that. Thought the difference would have been bigger. If they only ran for like 2 or 1 hour, the different might be bigger as (I think!) that the interior mode should resolve quicker than the non-interior.

Are anyone aware of the Pros and Cons of using the interior-mode?
I read recently on the forum that the caustics resolves quicker, but besides of that I don't know.

edwardo

Ha, I was going to say, from a psychological point of view, it was likely to be the first image that had interior mode turned on, then you thought to yourself  "I'll turn off interior mode and wee what the difference is" then posted the results.

I have to say, I prefer the second image (though, there is not much in it)

Speedster

This is an important discussion, as Luxion will be marketing Interior Lighting Mode as a major new feature in KeyShot 6.  Thanks for starting it, Esben...

The proof is in the pudding.  Being curious, I opened up my Santa Fe Compound contest entry to do a real comparison.  It appears to me that the value of Interior Lighting increases with the complexity of the lighting you have created.  My rig is quite complex, as you know.

In these images, all settings were exactly the same except the Lighting Mode.  There are eleven IES lights and six Diffuse lights. all hidden.  The HDR environment was turned to zero.  There is no post at all, except for the plant added into my contest entry #234.

The screengrabs each baked for five minutes.  The #234 baked for one hour on 32 cores, while the #244 "Product" rendered out (Advanced Controls) in 11:27, on 32 cores.

Interior wins hands down, IMO!  I also compared the Interior rendering with one (same model, similar view) I did way back in 4 or 5, which I posted last year.  Whew!  Man, have we come a long way!

This is well worthy of further discussion...

Bill G

Despot

Here's my comparison using my Attic Space scene... grab your sunglasses boys, it might just be a 'yikes' moment ;)

Both rendered for 10 minutes, first one is Interior Mode, second one has it unchecked... the difference is enormous.

Rendered on my lowly 8 core rig, as opposed to Bill's 'Rocket up your arse' rig ;)

J

Speedster

2nd image is really cool- looks like my first day in the darkroom, way back in college photography class! 

But in reality, I believe that Product Mode should be rendered using Advanced Controls.  I may be mistaken, but at least that's how I do it.  Maybe try another test render with AC?

Bill G

edwardo

Arrgg, the second image just reminds me of all the wasted hours I'd spent trying to get anything (interior) out of ks5 or prior.

Esben Oxholm

Thanks for sharing speedster and despot.
Great to see the huge advantage in more complex scenes.
I have no further questions :)

TpwUK

Wow, that's some drastic differences when compared like this - Thanks Bill and J

Martin