Shopping for a laptop (need recommendations)

Started by Scottpara, November 17, 2015, 05:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottpara

I am in the market for a new mobile solution for Keyshot. I am only looking at an i7 (5th or 6th generation) with at least 16gb ram. My question is, how important is video RAM for keyshot. Do I need a discreet 4gb card or will a 2gb or even onboard video RAM work for Keyshot. What other things should I be concerned with? Yes, I know a desktop would be a better solution for the money, but I am mobile 80%+ of the time and need a strong solution. I would like to stay around $2000-2500. My regular programs are:

Modeling
Sketchup (rough modeling)
Modo Refining model
3D Studio Max
Rhino
SolidThinking
Zbrush

Rendering
Keyshot

Post processing
Creative Suite 2015

Others
HDRI Light Studio
Crazybump
Vray for sketchup (rarely)

Any help would be appreciated. I know brands are personal preference but if there is a brand that is better than most or a brand to stay away from please let me know.

Best regards,
Scott

Speedster

Hey, Scott- here's my 2 cents...

Stuff in as many CPU's as you can!  That's what KeyShot needs, and the graphics card is not a big deal as to size/quality.  But that's not true for your other apps.  Mine are similar, with SolidWorks, KeyShot, CS5, MODO, Zbrush, FilterForge and Poser.

I urge you to look closely at the amazing laptop "mobile workstations" offered by BOXX Technologies.  They are more expensive, but there may be options within your price range.  The build quality and performance are tops, and they work with you to optimize against your needs and workflow.

I have a BOXX 32 core workstation, and it was the best investment I've ever made!  Being self-employed I have to have a bullet-proof machine, and believe me, it is!

You will get many more recommendations!

Bill G

Scottpara

I just don't have the budget for a Boxx. I would ultimately like the laptop to be a hybrid where I could fold it flat and draw on it like a tablet as well. I know I am asking for a lot but I would love some suggestions more in line with my budget. Here are a few I am looking at.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-900-13-3-2-in-1-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-512gb-solid-state-drive-silver/4529000.p?id=1219758515061&skuId=4529000

Non-touchscreen
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

I would love to hear some others opinions and recommendations.

Speedster

Guess what!  I have and use for traveling the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro.  I LOVE it!  The screen quality is superb, and it runs all my major apps just fine. 

Understand that KeyShot is slower than on my 32 core machine, but hey, when you're on the road or in a client's office, what's the hurry?  I think your Lenovo choice is a good one.  Not too sure about the touch screen need, as for CAD and KeyShot a good wireless mouse is a better choice.  FYI- I use a Logitech  "gaming mouse" on all three of my computers due to the precision they offer.

Mine is running Win 8 x 64.  Hate 8!  And no plans to update to 10 until Microsoft forces me to.

Bill G

Scottpara

I appreciate your input. Yes, I know without paying an arm and a leg I will never get desktop performance out of a laptop.

As for the touch screen hybrid need, I am a digital artist and do a lot of sketching so I would love for the laptop to have the capability. It is not a must as I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. That by far is the best tablet I have ever used for digital sketching. So if the laptop choice does not have a hybrid fold over hinge it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Do you think the Yogo 900 will be enough to push keyshot? Most all of what I do is product renders as well as automobile studio images. Are there any accessories you have found to be helpful? I have a wacom bamboo (large) tablet and a few good external hard drives as well as a mess of styli.

I do like the specs of the RazorBlade as well as the clean looking build. Any thoughts on the RazorBlade versus the Yoga 900?

Will Gibbons

Sounds like Bill's got you sorted, but I'll chime in since I own a BOXX workstation as well and I don't foresee myself ever switching to anything else. I understand your budget, but if you land one more client, can you justify the cost? That's how I look at these matters.

Good luck!

Scottpara

Thanks Bill. Believe me if I could afford a Boxx laptop I would. I am looking more for a real portable solution within my budget. I know the trade offs of having a truly portable solution (lack of desktop power) but I find myself being on the move far more than I will ever sit in front of a desktop. I think once I get a good portable solution I will then be in the market for a desktop solution and at that point a Boxx machine will probably be the only brand I would consider. Even if I find myself working on a larger file I will probably do all my modeling and texturing on my laptop and final render will be thrown at my desktop for now.

I really appreciate everyones input as it is making a decision that much easier.

Are there any more laptops anyone would suggest in the budget of $2000-2500?

debbie

I havent looked into laptops a whole lot but MSI is definitely much more well known in the gaming world

debbie

Well, I remember a site which i bought my new gaming laptop after recommendation it was http://pc4u.org/best-gaming-laptop/