Keyshot question about transparency

Started by DanielMCMLXXXII, December 07, 2015, 11:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielMCMLXXXII

Dear all, I am Daniƫl and work with Keyshot via Solid Edge ST8.
We want to make new render images for our website. For a winch that has some mesh I change the material in Keyshot to mesh, all looks well.
I set the render options to PNG with the box checked to Include alpha (transparency). All the opening that are (not) drawn are open, however the mesh has a with background. How can I change the settings so that the mesh has also a transparent background?
See the following images:

DanielMCMLXXXII

Apparently no one knows how to do this  :o

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: DanielMCMLXXXII on December 09, 2015, 12:09:30 AM
Apparently no one knows how to do this  :o
Sorry, no. I haven't encountered a problem like this before, and have no clue how to fix it :/

jondiare

Hey

You have 2 options;

1. The hardest 1 is to clean it up directly in photoshop every hole of your mesh.

2. Set it up your render with your website background.

TpwUK

What happens if you set the background colour as black ?

Martin

richardfunnell

The issue here is that the opacity textures do not create true transparency, as I understand it we don't have a solution from within KeyShot for this.

I have a potential solution if you have access to an image editor like Photoshop. Render out your first image with transparency on a background color that matches your final background color as close as possible. This makes overlaying a little easier.

We're going to use KeyShot to make a layer mask; this is how we can define transparency on our first rendering.
Set the material type to "Flat" for all parts, and set the color to white, Scene Sets are perfect for this. Make sure you keep the opacity textures that are used for the mesh. If you then render this on a black background (as a flattened image, no transparency) we can apply it as a layer mask in Photoshop. If you haven't worked with layer masks, they're a great way to work non-destructively for this kind of stuff and I'd recommend finding out more.

Save as a PNG with transparency, and you should get the desired result. I've attached the native PSD file as well.

Hope this helps!