more ram is ks faster??

Started by giullep, December 09, 2015, 05:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giullep

hi, i have my pc with 16gb of ram now...i see that when i render a obj, Google is very slowly...if i put 32gb of ram in it, it could works faster?? i have win 10 with i7 cpu..

TpwUK

Save some money and back off a couple of threads - KS uses all CPU cores and threads and uses them to the max. When you have nothing else to do but render, reactivate those deactivated threads in the render options

Martin

giullep

english isn't my first lenguage...exscuse me: then i dont need more ram, but you can explain me how must do to obtain faster render?? thx a lot

TpwUK

I thought you were referring to the system being slow when you are rendering a scene. If you are wanting quicker render times then you need a faster processor with more threads, when i went from 16Gb to 32Gb RAM i saw very little difference, check with Windows 10 specs though as earlier versions of Windows require you to go Pro with 32Gb

Martin

theAVator

As I understand it, Faster CPU and more CPU cores = faster/more efficient rendering in KeyShot. It uses CPU/core based rendering. Essentially if you have 16 cores currently and then add another 16 cores, you should effectively double your render speed/cut you render time in half.

That's not to say that RAM isn't used, but doubling you RAM isn't going to double your rendering speed or cut the time in half. More RAM is always nice, it's just not going to give you the result you're looking for (I don't think).

I would watch your Performance tab in the Task Manager and see what's lacking. If your CPU usage is up at 100% across all or most cores, but your RAM usage is only around 50% or lower, then adding more RAM won't really do anything - you're not using it all now so adding more will just add unused RAM. If your CPU is at 100% and your RAM usage is up around 95-98%, or you run out of RAM and get errors, then adding RAM would help.

bronson

Hi,

I remember I read it somewhere on the web about adding RAM for keyshot.
This guy upgraded his desktop from 8gb to 16gb and he saw no improvement whatsoever  for the FPS (frame per sec), meaning no improvement for rendering speed :'(

Bronson