Edge Damage 2 : Return Of The Bare Metal

Started by Despot, December 13, 2015, 02:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

This is my attempt at painted metal with wear and tear showing bare metal underneath

Done solely in the Material Graph with just 3 nodes

J

TpwUK

That's some super MatGraph work J - I favour the thinner edge damage of the hexapod but they both look great :)

Martin

bronson

jhiker

Superb. I'd love to know how you did that. Especially like the hexapod!

LM6

These look very nice John, I've been playing around with wear and tear myself using Substance Painter masks, haven't really got fully into the material graph yet so would be interested to know how you set this up?

Cheers

Peter

Esben Oxholm

Looking really great John.
I think you did a superb job here.

Despot

Thanks everybody... here's another example and the Material Graph

I cannot share the material because it uses textures that are not mine to redistribute, but the Mat Graph is quite simple really

Curvature is driving the IOR index of the Paint material, with a transparent .PNG controlling the 'Positive'  parameter

Changing the 'cut-off' and amount allows you to control the amount of damage and the type of  texture you use as the transparent .PNG lets you choose a damage 'type' I suppose, for me, scratch or grunge textures work best.

Changing the brightness value of the texture gives you a brighter metal, also changing texture scale has a profound effect.

That's about it really, at the moment I'm still experimenting - Oh, and it doesn't seem to work brilliantly on every model, it can be a little tricky

Excuse the shitty handwritten labels on the Mat Graph screenshot - I should have been a doctor...

J

TpwUK

Beautifully simple, brilliantly effective - Wonderfully delivered ... I am impressed Doctor J Despot :)

Martin

LM6

Thanks for sharing the material graph shot John

Cheers

Peter

soren

Very nice. A suggestion:

Instead of increasing the brightness of the texture map, you can use a "Color To Number" node to more easily control the conversion to a refractive index (place after curvature node). Then you can specify a range e.g. 1.5 to 10. Currently you will get a range between 0 and 10 as far as I can tell and an index of refraction of less than one is rarely encountered in practice (unless you live under water or in a solid block of glass).

Søren

Justin M

Will Gibbons

Dang. These are so slick! I was trying to figure out how to achieve this effect but hadn't quite got it yet. This helps immensely. Thanks for sharing so much and fantastic results!

Juan_Martin

Great work on that shader! And many thanks for sharing it !!

fario

thank you so much for sharing.

It's really very interesting!

Antoine