emissive material

Started by cgaio, December 17, 2015, 08:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgaio

Hello everyone!

i´m new to keyshot and I saw an image that I would like to replicate in keyshot. As you can see, it looks like the balls are emissive, as they have that inner light and glow, but when using emissive material, I lose all the reflections that appear here...
What is beautiful is this combination of "glow in the dark" with clear reflections on top. how can i create both effects simultaneously to look like these balls?

Thank you!

Will Gibbons

Hi,

For one (and this my be obvious to you) is that you can use a well-lit HDRI environment to get your light sources and reflections and then change your backdrop color to a solid dark blue as in the reference photo. (Do so under the environment tab)

If you're using KeyShot Pro, you could edit your HDRI to match the one shown. If you do not, you could use a solid black HDRI and add planes, then apply your light materials to them to light the scene. The reflections in the  blue sphere seems to show these well.

As for the materials for the objects, I'm not exactly sure. I'd have to play around to try and get those dialed. Could an anodized aluminum work for any of these?

cgaio

Hi!

Thanks!
For the environment I'll try that, but my big question is the materials for the balls, since they are emmissive and reflective at the same time, the anodized aluminium does not emit light, and also the glow effect can not be achieved, as if I turn on the bloom effect (in my keyshot is in the camera > lens effects), all the scene is blured and not only the objects that I want to have that glow all around them ( so the cones, and all the reflections, etc, are all blured). i think maybe I have to do this in another program, but I don't use anything else, since I'm starting now...

TpwUK

Is this the direction you are wanting ?

Martin

cgaio

Hi!

That material doen´t appar to glow, but maybe I can do that after in photoshop... I coundn´t evaluate it correctly because I can´t open the file (it says I need a newer version of keyshot...) but thanks anyway!

theAVator

Is it possible to use like a glass or gem material and put an orb of light in it? Maybe try getting it to emit light in a different manner?

Can maybe try a colored chrome and see how that compares?

I'm not sure on this one, but isn't there something about a thin film material that produces some different effects? or can you wrap a thin film surface around the sphere and see how that affects the emissive underneath?

Just throwing some ides out.

theAVator

Just a couple tests I was playing with quick.

Same scene and setup, just different materials.
Setup was spheres nested inside of another sphere. outside sphere was scaled to 1, inside was scaled down to .99 so they weren't touching.  The inside spheres on both was emissive material type. On the ThinFilmTest the outer sphere was a thin film, on the XRayTest the outer sphere was a black Xray material and I tried tweaking the color to sorta match the emissive color inside....

Getting closer, but still not exact.

cgaio

much closer! these look good and quite close to the final result, thanks! ;)

jhiker

I got this with 'nested' spheres. Inner solid sphere with emissive material and outer hollow sphere with glass material and minimal gap between the two. Outer 'skin' is 0.5mm thick.

cgaio

yes, this could work, I can try to do in Photoshop the outer glow effect (that light that fades out into the black background) that is missing due to the outer sphere, but I think this is possible, thanks!