Camera distance jumps to extreme value - model disappears

Started by theAVator, December 21, 2015, 02:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theAVator

Dell Precision Tower 7810
Windows 7 Enterprise (x64)
32GB RAM  &  16 Cores (Xeon CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.4 GHz)
Keyshot 5.3.6 Pro
*Sorry, can't post the actual model.

Having an issue with a model:
When I imported certain parts the camera distance jumps to some extreme value. Going under the camera settings, I have to set the distance value back to something reasonable. However, the model doesn't return until I go into the scene tree, right click on a part, and choose 'Look At'. Then the model comes back into view. Once everything is saved, I don't have any issues opening the file. BUT, the issue resurfaces when I click on a camera View Orientation (front, back, left, right, top, bottom) - the distance jumps to another ridiculous value. The last time I selected front or back the distance value jumped to 4500469042888310784. A "normal" distance value for this model would be around 15117.

Does this issue ring any bells to anyone or anyone run into this and have a solution?  ???
The model is fairly large, but it seems to be more tied to certain sub-assemblies and not a result of the whole.

Thanks in advance!

INNEO_MWo

I would look at the scene unit and change it with the first convert option.
And then change the scale of all objects to 1.

TpwUK

I had this issue with version 4 and Rhino files. Are you using Rhino 3DM files ? If so read on, if not try above method posted by MWo ...

Rhino and Moi files import with their orthogonal view-ports set to being cameras, the problem is they have no real camera views since they are 2D views only. To bypass this issue, in the scene editor where you can see your parts list, look under cameras and delete all the cameras listed other than the one listed as 'FreeCamera'. You will only need to do this once and you need to do it preferably before you start adding materials etc.

Once those pseudo cameras have been removed, then you should be able to select those same named views from the drop down list of views offered by KeyShot Standard Views without KS getting all confused.

Have a great Christmas
Martin

theAVator

Sorry Tpw, these are CATIA files, either CATProd or CGRs. So they're full engineering models, which why their file size/complexity is so high, but I've never had this issue before with these types of models.

Is there a way to select everything but a certain group of parts? Sorta like in Photoshop where you can select and then choose inverse to select everything else. Could there be like a single point or something out in space that needs to get deleted?

I'll try the scene unit/scale thing MWo suggested in the meantime.

theAVator

**Update**

I tried MWo's suggestion - didn't solve the issue. Still jumps out when you choose a camera view.

TpwUK

Are you selecting the views from the camera tab or from the scene tree ?

Martin

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: TpwUK on December 22, 2015, 09:07:09 AM
Are you selecting the views from the camera tab or from the scene tree ?

Martin

I  think he uses the imported standard views from Catia. They could be sensitive to the scene height. So maybe it would help to import Catia files without the cameras and use KeyShot standard orientations.

The problem sounds similar to creo files

theAVator

Sorry, when I say camera views, these are the ones I'm referring to. (see screenshot)
I really don't set any views in Catia, I actually pull models directly from our database where Catia stores and checks its models out from.
So when I go to set the camera views, it's purely in Keyshot to get the front/back/left/right/top views of the vehicles. So it is possible that the design engineer messed something up in the assembly. (of course engineers never make mistakes right?  ;D)

p.s. don't mind the screenshot being from KS6, my IT guy just installed the new version last night.

theAVator

**Update**

Issue Solved!

Darn engineers....
So I "box selected" the model in my viewport which highlighted the parts in the scene tree and fully expanded the scene tree. I then went line by line down the thousands of parts and found 3 pieces that weren't highlighted. The size of each piece was on that massive massive scale. So I went through and deleted those 3 pieces, saved the file and now it works correctly!

So when I was selecting the camera view it was seeing massive parts and trying to fit everything into the viewport.

TpwUK

kirk2345

Same problem .   I am importing from Zbrush  . Try to come closer and  the objects instantly  disappear.   Occurs  with orto camera mostly