Eye materials?

Started by rintintin, January 12, 2016, 07:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rintintin

Hi,

I'm trying to create an eye material to test Keyshot for character work. Am I correct in saying that using opacity will always kill reflections, the only option is a cut-out type opacity?

I'm trying to replicate this image which uses opacity on the outer ball so that you can see the model of the eyeris below.

I rendered this eye in MODO( its not my eye model though, got it off of Gumroad )

Thanks,
Rob

TpwUK

This is doable in KS, as long as the model has been separated properly before hand, I experimented with eyes a while back so I know it's achievable. I will dig around my archives and see what i can find if you don't figure it out before i catch up again.

Martin

rintintin

Hi,

I did mange to achieve what I was after but had to rework the model rather than use the assets as is. I would still be interested in looking at how you achieved this, particularly if transparency is as limited as it appears to my eyes :)

Thanks,
Rob

TpwUK

Quote from: rintintin on January 12, 2016, 01:35:00 PM
Hi,

I did mange to achieve what I was after but had to rework the model rather than use the assets as is. I would still be interested in looking at how you achieved this, particularly if transparency is as limited as it appears to my eyes :)

Thanks,
Rob

Your materials are much better than mine Rob, but here is the result I got. I had the following Objects ...

Sclera, Lens, Iris and Cornea - I should have SubD the Iris more but hey ho I was just problem hunting :)

Result shown is with KS 6.1 beta but it should be the same as for versions 4, 5 or 6

Martin

rintintin

thanks

appreciate the info, ill post my results tomorrow when I get back to work.

rintintin

I think I rather like KeyShot. I need to do a bit more testing but its looking good.

TpwUK

Awesome result Rob, send off for the 14 day watermark free version to do some full sized test renders... I had problems with UV mapping the white of the eye but you have it nailed there buddy !!

Martin

Will Gibbons

These look awesome. Great materials there. Did you get those with the model from Gumroad?

rintintin

Hi,
I got the model and textures but I had to change them  in order for it to work in KeyShot. It relies an alpha masks and they don't work ( at least I couldn't figure out how )plus the model is set up for the Arnold renderer.

The tutorial is "creating a realistic human eye"