Main Menu

camera match a model

Started by andy.engelkemier, January 14, 2016, 06:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

Match backplate perspective is great. That's fantastic for matching the perspective of your camera.

But now I have a model in my scene that I need to replace. For me, often that's someone holding the model. Maybe it's an old version of something, or just a 3d printed part of something. I plan on rendering that and matching the render. That can take a while because you have to match the camera, then match the model position in 3D.
So I can put a box in the scene to match the perspective first. That helps with the lens, although I usually know the lens settings and can easily measure distance.

So what I'm looking for is to rotate the model to match points. Here's how it should work:

Select a point on the model. That point should snap to the surface of the model when I click. Then I click on the corresponding point on my backplate that point is intended to match. Do that 8 to 12 times or so, then calculate. Boom, the model snaps into place changing position and rotation for you. The minimum for this would be 3 matching points, but that would give you a fairly low accuracy. Of course, that would even be ok because I just need a quick starting point for my settings, and I want a faster way to get my model where I need it.

This should also work for the whole model, even if you have parts hidden. Many times I match only one part of the entire model, then show the rest of the pieces once I'm done.

One last thing. It would be most useful for everyone if there were two options. Move the camera, or move the object. There are advantages to both. If you only move the camera, you can keep your model where it is for other shots, but your environment may seem odd because it's not rotated up right. Rotating the model may put it in an odd position, but is likely more accurate to what you set up for your image and you might get better reflections with your environment.