Main Menu

Blended box mapping

Started by Metin Seven, January 17, 2016, 12:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metin Seven

Hi,

I love Keyshot, great work. It makes rendering fun.

If someone would ask me what I miss most in Keyshot, it would be blended box mapping. It's a very useful extended box mapping option in Blender's Cycles renderer.

Basically, it allows you to smoothly blend the seams between the adjacent sides of box mapping, with a value between 0 (no blending, like standard box mapping) and 1 (full blending). The default value is 0.5, which offers a great balance between a crisp texture on six sides of your model and no seams between them.

The Blended box mapping in Cycles often allows me to skip the usual elaborate UV mapping procedure. If it would be implemented in Keyshot, I'd probably not go back to Cycles anymore.

Muchas gracias in advance.

Best regards from the Netherlands,

Metin

Esben Oxholm

That sounds very interesting.
Feathering out the seams in the box  mapping would indeed be nice!
Great suggestion Metin. I'm with you on this one.

KeyShot

TpwUK

A solid request - Well done to Metin for raising that, I am still new to blender/cycles and not seen that feature yet, but it does indeed tweak the curiosity aspect of my mind.

What's even better is the speed and willingness by KS to accept it as a beneficial tool for KeyShot ... Cant wait to see this one 6.1 by any chance or is it too complex to make it this time round ?

Martin

Metin Seven

Wow, thanks a lot, Keyshot developers and fellow forum participants. You really made my 'Blue Monday' !  :)

TpwUK

Quote from: Metin Seven on January 18, 2016, 02:10:33 AM
Wow, thanks a lot, Keyshot developers and fellow forum participants. You really made my 'Blue Monday' !  :)

All we need now Metin is for the Blender Foundation to implement Alembic Cache export  (3 years and counting) then we can have some real fun with KS + Blender

Martin

Metin Seven

Quote from: TpwUK on January 18, 2016, 04:22:21 AM
All we need now Metin is for the Blender Foundation to implement Alembic Cache export  (3 years and counting) then we can have some real fun with KS + Blender

Interesting. I had heard from Alembic before, but hadn't yet checked it out. Sounds very useful, thanks for the pointer.

OccultMonk

I would also really like this feature. Will blended box mapping be supported soon?

guest84672

This may or may not happen for KeyShot 7. We are overhauling texture mapping as we speak, starting with scale and manipulation.

Metin Seven

Thanks for the update, Thomas. I'm eagerly looking forward to the new features of Keyshot 7.