add switches to enable/disable some rendering features per object/material

Started by evilmaul, January 27, 2016, 11:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilmaul

Hi there,

I did mentioned this to Henrik but I thought to also share it with everyone on the forum.
Would it be possible to add such switch so that for instance we can have a switch for enable/disable caustics emitter/receive  as well as shadows.
Sometime you know want every obj in the scene for example to emit caustics (or receive) and apart from perhaps saving computational times , it would be very useful to art direct what you want to achieve with such features at render time.

Some of those are availble already in certain materials but if I would have to make a consistent list that would be

- cast/receive shadows
- emit/receive caustics
- global illumination on/off
- Motion Blur on/off
- Primary visibility
- Secondary rays visibility (like transparency /reflection/refraction)
-  shade double sided in the case of a single surface mesh

Please other users feel free to chip in as well
thanks
Marco

TpwUK

There are some on the list i would whole heartedly agree with but fear it would be a major re-write of the render engine  ...

Quote-  shade double sided in the case of a single surface mesh

That was introduced in 6.0 beta stage, has it been removed ? ... I will have to look and see if i can remember how, Geometry editor was used i am sure.

Martin

evilmaul

Not sure if that as to do with the render engine itself or its more about what it is parsed to it...

But a word for the dev team I am sure will clarify that and much welcome as well

soren

With respect to "shade double sided in the case of a single surface mesh" there is a surface backside mask node available when experimental features is enabled.

Søren

TpwUK

Quote from: Søren on January 27, 2016, 11:03:18 PM
With respect to "shade double sided in the case of a single surface mesh" there is a surface backside mask node available when experimental features is enabled.

Søren

Thanks for clarifying that - I knew i had seen it somewhere Søren

Martin

evilmaul

Quote from: Søren on January 27, 2016, 11:03:18 PM

Søren

Cool!  thanks!
Any word you can share about the other switches? too complicated?