Model Disappears when enabling nurbs mode

Started by oderuntz, February 08, 2016, 01:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oderuntz

I have a couple parts that disappear when enabling nurbs mode, so I can't render my assembly with the detail I need.
They are solid models from CREO 3. I exported them as STEP solids and saved and imported them and the same thing happens.

TpwUK

Just tested here with pure NURBs 3DM file and i had no problems importing the surfaces data ... Also tested STEP file, again no issues. I can only assume that Creo is possible using a different variation of the STEP format :/

Martin

oderuntz

The problem is part specific. I have a couple dozen parts in the assembly that render fine with Nurbs enables. I don't know why these specific parts disappear. The two parts are part of a complex overmold assembly. Initially I only had a problem with one of the parts where one of the outer surfaces would disappear when enabling Nurbs. So I then re-saved the assembly as STEP Solid files to make sure the parts were clean solids and now both parts completely disappear when I enable Nurbs.
I am lost, don't know what to do.

TpwUK

Can Creo check the surfaces to make sure they are facing outward - Adjust Normals - Flip Normals, or something along those lines ?

Martin

oderuntz

Surfaces are all facing outward.
I attached a jpeg showing my issue

TpwUK

Well that's me baffled now then, the only thing i can suggest is to send the original Creo file to support@luxion.com and provide them with details on how to repeat the problem.

Martin

millerrh

I have this exact same problem.  I am using the simplest of parts - a sphere I created in Creo and exported to KeyShot using the plugin.  I am trying to demonstrate the different texture abilities of KeyShot.

NURBS not enabled.  Spheres have jagged edges and look bad.

and NURBS enabled.  You can see the spheres just disappear.

richardfunnell

Have you tried increasing your tessellation upon import to improve the quality of your geometry? Changing it from .2 to .4 or .5 will substantially increase the number of triangles which should give you smoother parts in KeyShot.

Rendering with NURBs enabled generally slows down your result anywhere from 2 to 10 times slower, which is seen in both the realtime and offline rendering. I only use it as a last result after having increased my tessellation values, but again a small increase should be noticeable.

Additionally, why are you not importing the native Creo files into KeyShot? We support both the native part & assembly files.

millerrh

My spheres were native Creo files imported into KeyShot via the plugin.  I will try increasing default tessellation values, thanks.

Chad Holton

Would you be able to share the file? If so, please send the file to: support@luxion.com