Caustics question-wine glass base moire appearance

Started by Xidor, February 11, 2016, 09:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xidor

Guys, I'm looking for some input and advise to improve the wine glass shown below when using Focused Caustics. It rezzes up nicely on screen as seen in the screen capture. But when I render it, the shadow of the glass and the shadow under the glass is very noisy.

I built the model in SolidWorks and set image quality in the red zone for highest tesselation. In Keyshot, the set-up is Solid glass for the glass. Wine is Chardonnay material with reset color for red wine.

I used a plane for the table and applied glossy plastic to it. I added a sphere and positioned it above and to the left and applied an area light emissive material to it. Also I added two planes on the left and right and applied area emissive material to it to act as lights on either side to reflect into the glass. I also raised the glass above the floor plane by .02, so it's not touching. However as can be seen, the shadow of the glass in the background is as noisy.

For the glass I used Solid Glass because it has a much more realistic appearance and reacts to light like a real wine glass. Also the shadow is much more like the real thing.  When I used regular glass and set it double sided, the results were less satisfying, but the noise is not apparent in the shadows.

I tried to raise the sample rates to the 60's and 80's and Ray bounces in similar numbers. Shadow quality was raised to 10. Caustic was raised to 10.

Any help in eliminating the noise to match the screen capture will be appreciated.

In the image included, the above image is a screen capture and image below is the render.

Esben Oxholm

Have you tried using 'max samples' as render method instead of the 'advanced render'?
Might work better.

Xidor

Thanks!

Actually I did some more digging and found an older thread where you can set the caustics setting well past the limit of the scale. At a setting of 200 to 300, the noise was greatly eliminated. at a setting of 400, there was no difference from 300. Just took more time to render. I didn't see that thread until after I posted.

LayC42

the max. samples mode works fine. You can play with the material from the ground plane. Most time the "ground material" gives good results.

In my examples I've used an advanced material with a procedural bump map.

Xidor

Thanks for the effort LayC42. Something else for me to try!