When using alpha in tiff and your background is gone in PS

Started by Robert V., December 19, 2010, 04:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert V.

Hi,

I came across the following problem. I made a tiff render with alpha enabled.
When I loaded this into Photoshop, my background was gone. Only the object itself remained.

This was PS CS5

To solve this:
go to > Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency.

Then go to the layers on the right, and disable the mask (right-click on mask > disable Layer Mask)

good luck!

(this is because it's not really an alpha channel, but more a transparency to tiff)

sergov

Thanks for that one, was wondering how to work around this.

w.wolf

Thanks for clearing that ... I had to render the background separately, it takes only seconds but it's still annoying ...
How can I do this in other softwares, I use Pain.NET but any other software should be fine ...
I appreciate your help ...

Chad Holton

Hi w.wolf,

You can uncheck "Include alpha" under the render tab to have the background show up in any software.

w.wolf

Thanks Chad, but that isn't what I am looking for, I want the transparency and the background, in other words how do I turn off the mask, that's why they use tiff ...

lillusaur

I am after this functionality aswell.

The Alpha Channel disappears when you open it in Photoshop CS5

Is there a workaround for this?

Robb63

Yep, like Robert V said...go to > Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency
This will show the layer mask, but also if you go into channels the alpha channel is now visible.

This is a PS CS5 thing and not a Keyshot. I recorded this move as an action (including adjusting the alpha channel to be true white and black so I get a solid selection), so now I just quick-key it every time I open a tiff. Works like a charm.