Brushed Aluminium Casing

Started by Tahi, March 10, 2016, 07:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahi

Hey all,

Attached is a couple of images of my casing design (second and third image). I want the Aluminium Brushing and lighting to look a bit more like the
Voodoo Omen Casing (first image) but my Brushes just don't look the same.
I am  trying to achieve the vertical brushed look but the lines are too long, and no matter how many adjustments I make I cannot get anything like the Voodoo Omen. I guess both the material, lighting and environment need adjustment or changing.

Can anyone help me out?

Tahi

Lighting slightly adjusted

jhiker

Have you tried brushed stainless steel? Might be a better match.

Tahi

Quote from: jhiker on March 11, 2016, 01:02:15 AM
Have you tried brushed stainless steel? Might be a better match.

Hey there,

Yes the material is actually brushed stainless, it seems to match the precedent better.

Tahi

How does this look?

DMerz III

I've found the procedural brushed texture creates strokes that are too long for what you're trying to achieve. The original photo has strokes that are slightly shorter and offset, so they're not perfect.

I have a texture map I used for a similar effect, searching for it now.

NM-92

Hello Tahi ! You can try creating your own custom brushed texture on photoshop. Maybe you can adjust it to your specific needs. If you google the instructions, you can create it in just a couple of steps with some filters. Hope it helps.

DMerz III

Here's just a quick example using the attached Normal map. I used this on a project where I needed some brushing. You can see the brush strokes are slightly shorter (you can control this in the x & y scaling) and offset. Something that the procedural you're currently using doesn't have. Obviously my example is just a quick one, but I hope this helps!

Tahi

Ah great thanks for that.  It's starting to look a bit more as I expected.

DMerz III

Cool glad I could help, I saw a tutorial online somewhere that shows you how to create this in Photoshop using the Noise filter. I can't find it myself, but I'm hoping the normal map I sent you does the trick, looks like you're getting there!

bdesign

I find the procedural Brushed node to be quite flexible. You can adjust the X and Y scale independently, the length, the contrast, the colors, and the bump height to achieve some nice brushed materials, IMO. Here is an example material graph network using an Anisotropic material as the base, and separate Brushed nodes, with the same scale and length, but different colors and contrast settings, for the specular and bump. The scale of my example "tower" is 24x24x10.2 inches. The lighting is an HDRI environment with the contrast set to .7 and the brightness set to 1.35. Image brightness 1, gamma 2.2.

Eric

DMerz III

That looks great! Nice solve for sure. Thank you for sharing!

bdesign

You're welcome! Glad to share, hope it is helpful.

Eric

richardfunnell

Eric that material looks super, well done! Any chance you could upload it to the Cloud Library?

bdesign

Thank you, Richard! Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same Cloud issues discussed in this thread: https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=12010.0.

Eric