Noise from the bulb

Started by Zvi, March 13, 2016, 06:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zvi

The bulb in the lump creates noise. The scene units are meters, the power of the point light is 1 watt! There is global illumination. No roughness in the materials. How can I avoid this noise?

KeyShot

That looks odd indeed. Can you share your model with support@luxion.com, so we can take a look at it?

Zvi

I have no problem to share the model with anyone who can help solve the problem.

LayC42

What do you think about this result?

Zvi

It looks good. The noise disappeared. Although it is hard to see the translucency. How did you do it?

LayC42

I did  nothing special. Just
- deleted unwanted parts, the inner parts from the bulb
- changed the outer parts of the bulb to emissive
- changed the light type

You'll see all in the attached bib file

Zvi

Thanks a lot.
But you didn't delete the inner part from the bulb because you didn't need to, you changed the outer parts of the bulb to flat, not to emissive. I tried this idea of emissive but it didn't help. I also changed the light type, and it didn't remove the noise.
And again, thank you!

Zvi

Actually, we didn't find a solution for using the translucent material without all the noise, when there are multiple layers of glass.

LayC42

I don't know why you would use a translucent material for glowing objects?
So a flat material for the bulb with a point light in the center should be enough. Perhaps you can play with a small cylinder inside the bulb as an invisible area light. So you have more control about any shadows.

Please share your test results.

Zvi

While in my case the results are satisfying' as you can see in the attached image,  I am worry about the future, in other models, not of bulbs.

Zvi

Thank you for the information. It looks nice, but I wanted the bulbs tube to be seen.

LayC42

I like Eric's solution. Very good work, I just had time for a quick and dirty solution.

But, if you want to see the bulb spirals, then it doesn't have to glow.  Then will the flat material your best friend.

bdesign

Thank you, LayC42. In hindsight I realized that the watts power was too intense, and I had made an error in rebuilding the glass (intersecting geometry). I'll be posting an updated, improved version soon.

Eric