Main Menu

An interface... OVERHAUL!

Started by Flix, December 25, 2010, 08:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flix

All right... KeyShot is good, KeyShot is great, KeyShot is this and KeyShot is that. BUT - as a new user, I have to tell you that the UI and the interaction in general are not up to the software's caliber. I realize that you, along with most seasoned users, are well accustomed to the workflow and you tend not to worry about anything else than rendering.

Make UX a priority and you could tap into whole new markets. You need an outside opinion; perhaps a simple focus group (online), and you will realize how frustrating it is for a new user to operate this powerhouse. And trust me on this one, initial ease-of-use will too often mean the difference between a sale and a no-sale. It makes no sense to rely on handing out trial versions if users have a hard time trialling... instead of experimenting with the software's capabilities, they'll be experimenting with the interface and how to execute the simplest of things.

I hope you understand my point.

Rotate Object: Shift + Left Pedal + Ctrl + Jaw on spacebar + ALT + Middle Mouse Button + Elbow on arrow key. Seriously?

quigley

Don't agree, sorry. The interface is very slick and efficient as it is. There is nothing that cannot be done with either a simple mouse action and one or two keys, or via a slider or text entry. Of course there are areas that can be improved, but I would say these come into incremental UI and performance enhancements now rather than UI overhaul.

andy.engelkemier

I'm going to have to agree with Quigley on this one.
They could make an idiot proof interface, but they would have to make Valuable sacrifices. 3dsMax is a great example. Maya users would Never have touched 3ds max a while back for one stupid reason. 3dsMax was designed with the coffee cup in mind. (That's a joke btw). It use to be a mousing only sort of program because that's "Easier?"

Once you learn it (which should be very quick) you immediately become frustrated at how slow the "easy" interface is. Move an object, now you have to go select another tool to pan a little, then rotate, then pan, then zoom, etc.
When all you had to do in Maya at the time was keep one hand on the keyboard, memorize a few shortcuts and you're in flying past the old-school max users who are still holding a coffee cup in one hand.

The only part I'd say here is I would like the user to be able to change the hotkeys and change how each mouse/keyboard navigation works. I think that would make both groups happy. If you want you could make it super simple by using buttons or something time-consuming like that. Or you could keep it fast like it is and has been proven fast in just about every other reasonably professional 3d app on the market today.