import coordinates

Started by raduteo, December 30, 2010, 08:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raduteo

Hello, When I'm importing something from Maya it ends up being flipped 90 degrees, meaning if the car is horizontal in Maya, in keyshot its vertical, I need the models to be as in Maya since I'm importing a complex model consisting of many pieces and I cant reposition them in keyshot accurately. I searched in the option for import settings but I didn't find anything.

Edit: While I'm at it, is there a way you can render a Z-Depth pass?

Thanks.

Chad Holton

Hi raduteo,

To rotate more accurately:
-go to "options"
-click on the "scene" tab
-now, right click on your model and click "move object"
-go back to the scene tab and type in the rotation you want under the correct axis
-click on "Done" (if you're done, that is  ;))

There is no z-depth pass option I'm aware of. However, there are different ways to achieve this look. What kind of look are you after - fog, light, etc?

Robert V.

if you know how to add fog (even if it's postwork), I would like to know.

raduteo

The problem with the rotation is this, I have a car consisting of many parts, I don't import it all in one go because its impossible at 20 million polygons, so I have to import it part by part, and I cannot rotate every single part of that car and still be correct, I need import settings to fix this, and I havent found any.

I need Z-Depth for post processing to add more color depth, how do you achieve this "fog"?

Thanks.

Chad Holton

I see. Is there any way to rotate all the assembly pieces before bringing into KeyShot? Or add more RAM?

Regarding z-depth - I was more curious on what look you were after, as a wish for future KeyShot releases. Other than DOF, other types of z-depth would have to be post processed. Maybe someone else will chime in on a trick they would use for this...

raduteo

QuoteI see. Is there any way to rotate all the assembly pieces before bringing into KeyShot? Or add more RAM?

Yes there is, but the car wont be on the ground, so I have to snap everything to the ground, wont that screw every piece I import? I need to find a way. Unfortunately my MB is already maxed out at 4GB.

QuoteRegarding z-depth - I was more curious on what look you were after, as a wish for future KeyShot releases. Other than DOF, other types of z-depth would have to be post processed. Maybe someone else will chime in on a trick they would use for this...

I use Zdepth for blur and as a multiply layer in post-processing to add depth.

Thanks.

Chad Holton

Darn those 32 bit systems...  >:(

How about adding your own "ground plane" in maya before bringing it in. That will give your ground more flexibility too.

raduteo

My processor is 64 bit anyway.

Here is what I mean, I have to rotate it in Maya 90 degrees so when it is imported in keyshot it is as it should be, the flat plane in Maya is how I managed to find the ground in Keyshot (by exporting it and moving it till it casts no shadow, flat on the ground).

See my dilemma.

Chad Holton

Sweet car! My oldest son got to sit in one a few months ago, then I looked at the price of it and had him carefully get back out... Anyhow, I meant for the maya ground plane to replace the keyshot ground plane. You can also turn off the ground shadows when doing this. This way you will not have to snap to ground at all or move the parts once in keyshot. I do recommend a much larger maya ground plane though.

Speedster had a good example of this but the picture no longer exist for some reason....  :(

gunit

Hello, I wanted to chime because I am having the same issue, only this time with an architectural model.
From the discussion above, I get that KeyShot does not presently have any solution for this problem.

The big issue from my understanding is that KeyShot assigns an arbitrary pivot point for imported data.
The user has no way to control this pivot point.
When importing multiple sets of data on a given object, each has its own arbitrary pivot point, and thus the parts cannot be scaled or rotated as a whole. This is a problem....

1] One way to solve it is to be able to group objects after bringing them in -- resulting in one master pivot point.
2] Another would be to select all the parts and reset one pivot point.
3] Another would fix all imported objects to the same pivot point.
4] Or you could have a Y-up or Z-up switch that would allow KeyShot to toggle between these 2 conditions.
5] Or you could build pivot point tools to give the user control.

Certainly some of these are more work than others, but I believe it is a matter that needs addressing, given the arbitrary pivot point issue makes working with large data sets in KeyShot possible.
Cheers, Gray

guest84672

What do you mean by "pivot point"?

It is true that you currently can't scale or move multiple objects simultaneously when they are imported individually.

We do have some improvement coming in version 2.2 that will make importing and handling of individual objects easier.

omulu01

I agree. The inability to group and move multiple objects at the same time in keyshot is the single biggest reason I cannot recommend it to our studio at this time. We are in dire need of a product like this, but we often work with multiple dense meshes, and if we can't get them all to move together, it is virtually useless. Hopefully this feature will be added soon!

Thanks
Will

guest84672

Why don't you import them as one single file?

omulu01

Quote from: Thomas Teger on January 17, 2011, 07:48:26 AM
Why don't you import them as one single file?

This creates an obj with 2-4 million polygons made up of several hundred meshes. I import them with "keep individual parts" checked. When I unlink the parts in the options menu, Keyshot often freezes. If I try to turn off different parts by unchecking them, Keyshot crashes. Other models with more parts (but about the same # of polys) won't even import into Keyshot without freezing it. When I can get the model in, I can't unlink the parts (which are linked by default for some reason) without crashing or freezing Keyshot. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Will

KeyShot

KeyShot 2.2 will be much better and faster at handling large scene trees. We are also looking into moving groups of objects together.

-- Henrik