bad lighting / HDRI or bad materials ?

Started by Stefj, April 07, 2016, 06:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefj

Hi,

i must place a 3D tent into a real picture ( used as background + HDRI for realistic lighting and rendering into the picture ).
first i had created from scratch all materials and used a studio HDRI lighting system ( also create from scratch with 3 lights ).
the rendering was good there.. quite realistic.

then, i changed the HDRI and background files, with the new exterior ones.

the problem is my materials became very ugly... not realistic at all.

what's the problem ? materials and textures or HDRI lightning ?

LayC42

That HDRI doesn't work for this kind of models. May try the outdoor lighting hdr's, like rain forest. And you can add pins if you need extra light.

Pls show your new results

Esben Oxholm

Hi Stefj.

You changed the lighting (HDRI) and that changes the appearance of the materials. Just like in reality.
If you placed a physical product in a photo studio with a studio lighting setup and compared it to a photo the same product inside a large industrial hall, it would look very different as well. Especially when dealing with shiny surfaces.

I would chime in on LayC42 and suggest that you try to add some pins to your HDRI and see if you can lighting up your model.

Why did you create a studio HDRI lighting in the first place, if you knew you had to go for an exterior look?

Best,

Stefj

thanks for the quick answers !
in fact, i thought like this way , juste like reality : when you put an object inside a room or outside, it's material look don't change so radically, right ?

Keyshot seem to be well known because it's rendering engine is very realistic ( very good lights simulations) ... i was just surprise about this huge difference of rendering (inside/outside)

maybe HDRI exterior rendering need also some extra light to be good... ( not only base on a HDRI picture )..

@Esben  : i need studio look rendering for different marketing stuff ( flyers , magazine, etc.... ), but also outside rendering for some customers .

in fact, i want to be sure that my differents materials are OK... so i can focus on lightning without changing them for hours !

Stefj

just realize... maybe my materiel is not good..

the main material suppose to be anodized aluminium ( grey )... i used "metallic painting" and the color is close to white ( 3/2/0/7 )..
maybe that's why the HDRI rendering is not so good... ( my material need  to  be more dark grey )