what processor is best for keyshot?

Started by Jermaine87, April 11, 2016, 03:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jermaine87

How is it to buy something like that from Ebay? Not sure if i like the idea of second hand and what not and if they are to trust.

Quote from: TpwUK on April 13, 2016, 02:08:42 AM
You are in the same boat that i was in a year or so back. My 4790K was doing about 90fps with the Camera Benchmark scene. I found that the new socket 2011v3 route was just too expensive for me to follow so I went with a dual socket 2011v2. I went with E5-2620 v2 chips and regretted that choice, I only got something like 120fps. I was advised to avoid the 2620's but i went with them, if i remember rightly they were 2.1Ghz with Max Turbo of 2.4 and they were very disappointing. So i am going to stick my neck out here and say avoid the xx20 processors, they offer excellent entry value but do not have the low down grunt for KeyShot based on my experience with the 2620

I recently swapped them for two E5-2680v1 and my benchmark score is 173fps with no turbo and about 198fps with turbo. I got them of E-Bay for less then £300 but then got rattled by import duties and tax which bumped me to nearly £400.

My motherboard of choice was eventually the ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS.

Martin

TpwUK

If you buy from reputable traders they will offer some sort of warranty. However you do need to trust their honesty, these chips came from an upgraded server so probably were never tortured, most network admins i know go for stability and not so much speed and every server room i have seen have all been air conditioned and feel like being in a fridge, so i had confidence in them, I also had my 2620's (still have them) just in case these fail.

I might however decide to build a new dual processor box later this year because i have heaps of parts both for pc and mac that i can probably sell off to cover most of the expense

Martin

Jermaine87

and how do you feel about the 2620?

Quote from: TpwUK on April 13, 2016, 05:07:43 AM
If you buy from reputable traders they will offer some sort of warranty. However you do need to trust their honesty, these chips came from an upgraded server so probably were never tortured, most network admins i know go for stability and not so much speed and every server room i have seen have all been air conditioned and feel like being in a fridge, so i had confidence in them, I also had my 2620's (still have them) just in case these fail.

I might however decide to build a new dual processor box later this year because i have heaps of parts both for pc and mac that i can probably sell off to cover most of the expense

Martin

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Jermaine87 on April 13, 2016, 05:22:17 AM
and how do you feel about the 2620?

Quote from: TpwUK on April 13, 2016, 05:07:43 AM

Martin
I guess he answered that in his previous post :) (Sorry for interrupting)
QuoteI went with E5-2620 v2 chips and regretted that choice, I only got something like 120fps. I was advised to avoid the 2620's but i went with them, if i remember rightly they were 2.1Ghz with Max Turbo of 2.4 and they were very disappointing. So i am going to stick my neck out here and say avoid the xx20 processors, they offer excellent entry value but do not have the low down grunt for KeyShot based on my experience with the 2620

TpwUK

Quoteand how do you feel about the 2620?

If you do a lot of renders or render complex scenes then the E5-2620 sucks in my opinion. If however you are a movie watcher and do general computer usage such as word processing and photo editing then the 2620 is fine. The honest answer is too few cores and two low a clock speed so they are not really suitable for heavy usage with KeyShot. I have not tested or used any of the other intel xx20 class processors but i would assume they all follow along the same lines of too few and not fast enough compared to other processors of the same family group.

Martin

TpwUK

I have looked more closely at the image provided by Steve, if you notice the 24 core/thread is an I X5690 and he is using the same family class with the 360 core version. Those chips run on socket 1366 which is now getting 6+ years old, as such they will be real bargains on the internet with suppliers getting pretty desperate to get rid of what is effectively redundant/surplus stock. On a downside trying to get new DDR3 1333 DIMMS may prove a little difficult, but again as second hand they should be pretty cheap and would afford you the chance to bulk out on memory too :)

Martin

3D Off the Page

When upgrading our workstations or render farms its always a drawn out procedure comparing price vs performance.  The latest and greatest may be really fast but the cost of core/hour of render time always seems to come out much better with a little older hardware.  And I agree that if you can find reputable sellers on ebay you can get great deals with a limited warranty.

TpwUK

Quote from: 3D Off the Page on April 13, 2016, 07:01:00 AM
When upgrading our workstations or render farms its always a drawn out procedure comparing price vs performance.  The latest and greatest may be really fast but the cost of core/hour of render time always seems to come out much better with a little older hardware.  And I agree that if you can find reputable sellers on ebay you can get great deals with a limited warranty.

I took a long hard look at the new 6,1 Mac Pros because of the footprint being so small. Not much bigger than a 100 stack of DVD'S - I could have fitted like 12 of them on one shelf, sadly not expandable enough on the inside though :(

Martin