what processor is best for keyshot?

Started by Jermaine87, April 11, 2016, 03:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jermaine87

Hi everyone!

I have a question, right now i am using a i7 3.6 processor to make my renders with keyshot but it's still very heavy on my system to work with keyshot. Renders take a lot of time now my question is if you guys know what the best processor is for keyshot? Or any other tips that help me render faster?
Would be awsome^^

TpwUK

This is a tad ambiguous for a direct answer. There are a few simple rules to follow though ...

Calculate your budget. Bare in mind that your new processor might need a new motherboard and memory type that can add significantly to your over-all build's costs.

Once you have a budget for your processor, then look at the options available to you. KS favours Intel processors so you should keep that in mind too. Research the chips that are in your price range. Fewer cores tend to have greater speeds, more threads tends to have slower processors. KeyShot doesn't care too much over the speed, but loves cores/threads, however the quicker the better so a simple formula would be

(Number of cores/threads) x Chip speed Ghz

do not calculate from max turbo speed as this is often the speed reached with one thread/core in ideal test conditions.

So as an example .... 8 threads CPU @ 3.8Ghz = 30.4Ghz equivalent processor power
A single processor with 16 threads @ 2.4Ghz = 38.4Ghz
A dual processor board fitted with the same CPU's as above would give 76.8Ghz or 60.8Ghz

If you go for socket 2011v2 you can still drop to v1 chips and get real bargains. AFAIK you can't do this with v3 and with v3 you need DDR4 RAM

Hope that helps you in your quest ;)

Martin

Jermaine87

Uhm I think it does xD I have build my own system a long time ago but I lost toutch with it so Most things are pretty new now for me on what is best. For the CPU i am thinking of a budget of 400 ish. It is for my work but I have to finance it myself. The question would then be if it's a price where I can get a lot more out of it. In a test btw a 6 core did a much better job in rendering speed (1.68 times faster according to Cinebench but that processor has 6 cores. So what is the most important part would you say about the processor? The cores or the threaths? Or something else I am missing:P

TpwUK

What socket type are you running presently do you know ? Are you on a desktop ? What camera benchmark score do you get ?

Martin

Jermaine87

I honestly don't know. This is the first computer I didn't put togheter myself (regretting that..) my cpu is: 4790 with 3.6ghz. Just heared it has a 4 core but because of the thread is has a virtual 8 cores.... so yeah that makes sense why that other chip is then better!

Eron

Well I think that the Benchmark Category will give you quite valuable insight:

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?board=36.0

best wishes

TpwUK

Quote from: Jermaine87 on April 12, 2016, 02:20:07 AM
I honestly don't know. This is the first computer I didn't put togheter myself (regretting that..) my cpu is: 4790 with 3.6ghz. Just heared it has a 4 core but because of the thread is has a virtual 8 cores.... so yeah that makes sense why that other chip is then better!

That makes you on a socket 1150, as far as i know the top processor for that type of socket is the 4790K version. If you have the K version already then you are as good as you can go without a new board, and cpu.

Martin

3D Off the Page

Attached is a new graph we are working on for our website.  We rendered the same file and settings to compare various processors and one of our render farms.

Steve

Jermaine87

Well it's a second computer that i will be making, that will be just for rendering. It's my job but soon I will be getting more and more things I need to make for them so a second computer would be great but it needs to be faster then the current one so everything is new. It is a personal investment and I need to do it with a price that I feel like it ain't to much but helps me speed up the process. I don't have the K version btw. But this is a 4-core but get's a 8-core in a way.  So I defenitly need more cores. The speed itself is fine.

Quote from: TpwUK on April 12, 2016, 07:04:37 AM
Quote from: Jermaine87 on April 12, 2016, 02:20:07 AM

That makes you on a socket 1150, as far as i know the top processor for that type of socket is the 4790K version. If you have the K version already then you are as good as you can go without a new board, and cpu.

Martin

Jermaine87

A i will look at those ^^ thnx!

Quote from: 3D Off the Page on April 12, 2016, 07:31:33 AM
Attached is a new graph we are working on for our website.  We rendered the same file and settings to compare various processors and one of our render farms.

Steve

Jermaine87

Some processor i am thinking about.
Being out of computers on what processors are and what not hasn't helped my knowledge that I used to have. Feels stupid hahaha. But slowly trying to catch up with the idea because there is much more to the cores and what not and I need to be sure I get way more out of it then I have now. (well atleast a nice amount of improvement)

intel-xeon-e5-2420-v2
intel-core-i7-5820k
Intel-Xeon-X5690-3-46GHz

TpwUK

If you can afford the Xeon, go with that. It's a step backwards on socket type but that should make it cheaper on the motherboard and memory. All other parts should transfer right over :)

Martin

Jermaine87

And how would that compare to my current i-7 3.6ghz (4-core) processor? Would it be slighly or a pretty good update? Sorry for all the questions guys I need to be sure it works good with Keyshot ^^

Jermaine87

I think this might be the best option. But i am not sure. It has 8-cpre and 16 threaths so then a virtual 16 core right? 2.1ghz and max 3.0
http://nl.hardware.info/product/343980/intel-xeon-e5-2620-v4-boxed/specificaties

so right now i am in the mix of 2. So the 2620 v4 (8 cores 16 threaths)
and the i7 5820k (6 cores 12 threaths)

the 5820k scores about 3000 higher then my current chip (10.021 vs 12.988) but the 2620 isn't on there so i can't compare it there.
http://m.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

It's more then I want to give out BUT it might be better to get this and improve more? What do you guys think?

TpwUK

You are in the same boat that i was in a year or so back. My 4790K was doing about 90fps with the Camera Benchmark scene. I found that the new socket 2011v3 route was just too expensive for me to follow so I went with a dual socket 2011v2. I went with E5-2620 v2 chips and regretted that choice, I only got something like 120fps. I was advised to avoid the 2620's but i went with them, if i remember rightly they were 2.1Ghz with Max Turbo of 2.4 and they were very disappointing. So i am going to stick my neck out here and say avoid the xx20 processors, they offer excellent entry value but do not have the low down grunt for KeyShot based on my experience with the 2620

I recently swapped them for two E5-2680v1 and my benchmark score is 173fps with no turbo and about 198fps with turbo. I got them of E-Bay for less then £300 but then got rattled by import duties and tax which bumped me to nearly £400.

My motherboard of choice was eventually the ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS.

Martin