Keyshot vs Photoview 360 vs Vizualize - Image Quality

Started by Chris B, May 09, 2016, 02:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris B

It appears that the best image quality can be achieved first by Keyshot, then by SolidWorks Visualize, then by PV360.
If you do a Google Images search for Keyshot, then in another window do one for Visualize, and another for PV360, you should see what I mean.

Do others agree?

Chris B

Anyone here using SolidWorks, and have switched from PV360 to Keyshot?

I'm looking for the best tool to get realistic images - either learning PV360 better or buying Keyshot and learning that.

The SolidWorks forum says PV360 should be able to create images of same quality as Keyshot. 
However, looking at the Keyshot gallery, those images are much more realistic than even the PV360 contest winner images.

Why would that be?

Maybe Keyshot users are more skilled at rendering and image creation, because they're more from that side of things, where SolidWorks users are generally more focused on mechanical design.
Or, maybe the tool really does deliver higher quality images. 
Or maybe a bit of both.

Hope someone here can share their insights.

DriesV

I am with Luxion, so maybe a bit biased. :)
I will still give you my take on the subject, as I used SW for industrial design in my previous job.

In my experience PV360 is very much geared towards quick concept images. Basically whenever a rendering needs to look somewhat better than a straight screenshot. I think even SOLIDWORKS themselves will not deny that quick concepting is the primary use case for PV360.

If realism and physical plausibility are important for you, then KeyShot is going to be a much better fit than PV360. Our material system is definitely more capable at representing complex finishes and materials.
We also have flexible import capabilities and a plugin to get your SW models into KeyShot and to keep them up-to-date.

Just my 2cts. I hope some of our SOLIDWORKS users can chime in...

Dries

Speedster

Well, I've been a SolidWorker since 2000 (and won a lot of awards), and a KeyShooter since 2008. 

I use KeyShot for ALL of my rendering, even quickies for a client review.  When working with engineers and other designers we of course share screenshots.  But I use KeyShot whenever I send any kind of review or viz images to upper management, etc.  Frankly, they now expect it from me, and realize they are paying me for only minutes on the timesheet.  KeyShot + SolidWorks is my primary pipeline.

I have looked at PV360, and now Visualize, but it's not worth the time.  I can do better in minutes with KeyShot.

But where KeyShot really excels is when I'm working online (join.me or others) in real time, with the design team, art directors, or others anywhere in the world, often on several continents.  For some reason, KeyShot does not lag or run sluggish.  Understand that I run 64 cores.  We set up scenes, materials and lighting in real time, and then I pull a "screenshot with camera" to revisit later for finals.  Beats the hell out of the old story boards!

My 2 cents!

Bill G

DriesV

Quote from: Speedster on May 11, 2016, 03:07:14 PM
But where KeyShot really excels is when I'm working online (join.me or others) in real time, with the design team, art directors, or others anywhere in the world, often on several continents.  For some reason, KeyShot does not lag or run sluggish.  Understand that I run 64 cores.  We set up scenes, materials and lighting in real time, and then I pull a "screenshot with camera" to revisit later for finals.  Beats the hell out of the old story boards!

That's an excellent point, Bill!

Dries