animation question

Started by HaroldL, May 11, 2016, 10:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaroldL

Has anyone has made or attempted a spinning coin animation like this in KeyShot?

Dries, do you have any pointers that would help?

DriesV

This would be very hard to do in KeyShot.  :) Hence why we support importing animations through fbx/alembic.

For these kind of animations, I would highly suggest doing the animation setup in the modeling software and then baking the animations to fbx/alembic. Our plugins support exporting part (as well as camera) animations.

I hope that helps, somewhat.

Dries

Esben Oxholm

Hi Harold.
Your request got inspired to try and do an animation like this. Animated inside modo though. Here's a quick rendering of it:

I did it by animating a spin in the first five frames and the dynamic simulation system inside modo took care of the rest.
Exported as fbx to KeyShot. Didn't do camera animations inside modo on this one, but did a quick test afterwards, and it works! (thanks for heads-up on that one, Dries)
Let me know if you have any further questions to the setup.

HaroldL

Quote from: DriesV on May 12, 2016, 12:10:45 AM
This would be very hard to do in KeyShot.  :) Hence why we support importing animations through fbx/alembic.

For these kind of animations, I would highly suggest doing the animation setup in the modeling software and then baking the animations to fbx/alembic. Our plugins support exporting part (as well as camera) animations.

I hope that helps, somewhat.

Dries

Well that's not good. For my "home use" I have Geomagic Design. It does not have animation so now I need more software in order to create the animation so I can bring it in to Keyshot to do an animation. ??? How ridiculous does that sound?

I watched Esben's animation and that is very close to what I want to create. But there is no way that I can afford modo. Does anyone know if Blender can create the spinning coin effect? If it does then I can at least afford that.

I was thinking about creating this as a side project at work in SolidWorks but I don't think SW would be able to do it either. Besides, now that Visualize is free with SW getting KeyShot installed is going to be a real challenge.

Harold

TpwUK

QuoteI watched Esben's animation and that is very close to what I want to create. But there is no way that I can afford modo. Does anyone know if Blender can create the spinning coin effect? If it does then I can at least afford that.

Yes Blender can do that kind of thing :) The only downside I am finding with Blender is the lack of Alembic Cache support. I personally don't think they will ever add it to the mainstream build because it would totally decimate the sales of the big players. However, if you are brave and have the time, you can build and compile a 'personal' version of Blender that gives partial support for Alembic, enough to be able to get your geometry into KeyShot.

Martin

Martin

DriesV

FYI, there is a indie version of MODO. It allows exporting fbx (including animations) with a maximum of 100.000 polygons. It is much more affordable than full-fledged MODO.
Maybe that can work for you?

Dries

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on May 12, 2016, 01:32:04 PM
Hi Harold.
Your request got inspired to try and do an animation like this. Animated inside modo though. Here's a quick rendering of it:

I did it by animating a spin in the first five frames and the dynamic simulation system inside modo took care of the rest.
Exported as fbx to KeyShot. Didn't do camera animations inside modo on this one, but did a quick test afterwards, and it works! (thanks for heads-up on that one, Dries)
Let me know if you have any further questions to the setup.

Very nice, Esben! I didn't see this before... must have missed it. Seems like you've been using MODO quite a bit for simulation and animation?

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on May 18, 2016, 07:59:34 AM
Very nice, Esben! I didn't see this before... must have missed it. Seems like you've been using MODO quite a bit for simulation and animation?
Thanks, Will! A bit of animation, yes, but not simulation.
I wasn't sure that this was going to work at all, but I got pretty lucky on this one :)

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on May 18, 2016, 12:19:19 PM
Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on May 18, 2016, 07:59:34 AM
Thanks, Will! A bit of animation, yes, but not simulation.
I wasn't sure that this was going to work at all, but I got pretty lucky on this one :)

Ahh, I see. Always nice when that happens!

HaroldL

Well, this may not be as slick as an anim out of Modo or Blender. . .
I got the idea after seeing a Blender tutorial by Peter Drakulic, Thank you Peter.
Moving the chip in a straight line then falling down is easy compared to moving it in an arc. Another thing I found was that even though I modeled the chip centered on the origin I couldn't get it to rotate on its X axis as it spun down to the ground plane. I had to use the Center option. Seems to me like they would be the same.

Maybe in a future release of Keyshot there could be some enhancements to animation to include features like what's in a Free (Blender) program.

feher

This is possible and easy in Keyshot. I just tried, did it in 5 min. I'll post bip later today when I get home.
No need to get other software for this.
Tim

HaroldL

Thanks Tim. Glad to see someone else confirming the possibility of this anim.
Thought I'd upload the bip for at least a comparison of technique.

I'm working through the process for a longer final animation that  I'm working on.