Glass does not look transparent

Started by Zvi, May 17, 2016, 01:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zvi

In the attached images you can see that the glass in the front of the bottle does not look like a transparent glass, but frosted. I used full raybouncing, dielectric material with the correct definitions, and good lighting.

Zvi

I'm attaching the file of the scene itself, if someone wants to check it.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Zvi.

I had a quick look at it. I think it comes down to two factors:

1. Lighting:
Your HDRI is kinda contrastless and is especially lacking dark areas. Try using a HDRI with higher contrast and fully black areas.

2. Model and material setup:
Accurate representation of liquid inside glass containers needs a bit of (not so obvious) setup work.
You should in your CAD software split the surfaces as sketched in the attached image. The left part shows how your setup is a the moment (as far as I could see) and the right shows the ideal setup.

All three surfaces should have the dielectric material applied and be adjusted as this:
(Quoted from Dries (except from color references) from https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=12499.0 - Not sure why I didn't just link to this from the beginning)

Orange surface: Dielectric material. Refraction Index = 1.5 (or whatever is appropriate for your bottle's material)
Blue surface: Dielectric material. Refraction Index = 1.334 (the IOR of the liquid) / Refraction Index Outside = 1.5 (the IOR of the bottle)
Green surface: Dielectric material. Refraction Index = 1.334 (the IOR of the liquid) / Refraction Index Outside = 1 (the IOR of air)

Hope it helps.

DMerz III

Esben, I have to draw that exact sketch out for my CAD designers every time we render some kind of glass bottle, haha.

richardfunnell

Haha, yep, saved for future use! Thanks :D