Mate to model / copy and paste position

Started by slee, May 20, 2016, 04:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slee

Would be great to be able to import models and then have an option to mate it to the same position, angle, and size to other models that you select.
Also if there's an option to copy a location & angle of the model and then paste it to another, that would be great in terms of workflow.

DMerz III

+1 on this!

I know there is the 'update' model option on the import settings, but as I understand it, it works for the same 'file name' only?

What would also be a helpful addition is if I needed to duplicate one model, but wanted to easily copy the coordinates of another model. Something like the "copy position" ability in After Effects. Right now what I do is go back and forth between the two models' position tab and copy and paste all 9 boxes, if there were a quick way to do that, it'd be a killer time saver for me.

THANKS!

LayC42

sethcshort

Someone at Luxion pointed out to me in another thread that there's a feature on the Move Tool that can accomplish part of this.

Click the object you want to move, then go into the Move Tool (Position Tab), then pick as your pivot the object you want to snap to.  Then click the Snap to Pivot button in the Move Tool UI.

This doesn't do anything about the angle however, so you still have to copy/paste those three boxes.

Seth

DMerz III

Ahhhhh, very smart. But yeah, adding the angle values would be helpful as well!

jet1990

+1

I'd love to be able to drop items in and mate like in solidworks ( the snap to lower object is useful but can be a pain when wanting to snap something to a vertical surface for example)