Robb63

That abstract is great. Nice job Will! It's today's background wallpaper

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Robb63 on September 16, 2016, 05:24:22 AM
That abstract is great. Nice job Will! It's today's background wallpaper

Thanks Rob! :)

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on September 16, 2016, 05:05:05 AM
Cool, Will!
Did you use a reference for the material?
To me it looks either to transparent or to cloudy... at least compared to the material of plastic cups we can buy in Denmark :)

I did have a reference, but I can't say it matches 100%. The cup I had looks different depending on each lighting situation as well as what's behind it. Needless to say, matching a photo ref. taken in a proper environment/lighting situation would help. Maybe I'll do that tonight. The issue I was getting was getting the plastic to look milky but when I increased the roughness transmission, it lost all transparency. I tried increasing the diffuse values (as the plastic looks too dark in areas, but then had to reduce spec. accordingly or it would be too bright). Maybe with fresh eyes tonight I can improve it.

Will Gibbons

Here's a dump of various renderings or re-visits to older ones (like the whiskey glass). I haven't been good at keeping this updated  :-\

Finema

bdesign

NM-92

'Thumbtack1.28_Comp.jpg' is my favourite. Really good work, Will.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: NM-92 on November 08, 2016, 04:16:31 PM
'Thumbtack1.28_Comp.jpg' is my favourite. Really good work, Will.

Quote from: bdesign on November 08, 2016, 03:36:04 PM
Great work, Will!

Eric

I appreciate the words of encouragement, guys!

Will Gibbons

This idea came about last night and I knocked it out in about an hour. Decided to record the process, so there's a fun little time lapse because... why not? I've thought of ways to improve these since creating them, but curious to hear if of your ideas for improvement. No post on any of these.

Thanks for lending me your eyeballs.

Also. Video.

Cheers!

Despot

Lego house and camera lenses are very cool :) - is the pattern on the knife blade intended to simulate an oily surface ?

marcusha

I think he is trying to simulate damascus steel :) It is a pattern welded steel, that is edged in acid, which brings out the beautiful pattern :)

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Despot on November 09, 2016, 06:14:20 AM
Lego house and camera lenses are very cool :) - is the pattern on the knife blade intended to simulate an oily surface ?

Thanks! :) Marcusha is correct. The material is from the KeyShot Cloud Library, created by Rex a while ago. If you search Damascus steel, you'll see what it's modeled after. I know I need to see if I can adjust the material so the texture appears different where the blade tapers. Also, there's no bump applied to the blade and there certainly should be. Also, some minor imperfections to the polished part of the blade would be good I think.

Quote from: marcusha on November 09, 2016, 07:21:57 AM
I think he is trying to simulate damascus steel :) It is a pattern welded steel, that is edged in acid, which brings out the beautiful pattern :)

Nailed it!

Despot

Never seen that before, very cool, thanks for expanding my knowledge :)

Hossein Alfideh

If I have to choose one, I'll go with the lego house! looks very cool!
also I love the knife wood work! well done!  :)

Will Gibbons

Thanks guys! Did another one last night. Spent a decent amount of time trying to dial in the material on the keycap, but the final renderings don't quite show it all off. May need to exaggerate some of the values within the material parameters.

TpwUK