Main Menu

Donut Anyone?

Started by JimmyToTheBe, May 25, 2016, 07:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyToTheBe

Its been a while since I posted anything lately. I have been absorbing all the webinars & tips for some time. So finally got round to rendering something fun instead of product shots to which I cannot show share with you just yet. This image was created using a 3D scanned donut from http://www.blankrepository.com/ after seeing some of Esben's stuff lately. Hope you like it  :)

Chad Holton

Looks yummy!  :D Nice work.

Can you share a clay version too?

JimmyToTheBe

Yep! Here is the scanned model without the texture. Still rather impressive.

Will Gibbons

I've been seeing some impressive 3D scanned content. Not sure how I feel about it. I mean, the technology is amazing and exciting for sure. Also, am interested to see how seamless it will make integrating 3D content into any compositing pipeline. The other side of the coin I suppose, is that as technology advances, we 'artists' are doing less and less. At this point, scanners are tools like everything else an artist uses, but it's interesting to think about where this will take the 3D industry as a whole.

If anyone is interested in reading about the technology (I found it interesting): https://www.wikiwand.com/en/3D_scanner

As for the rendering, it looks amazing! Really, really nice. What kind of files does blankrepository include with the models from?

TpwUK

A resource that's going to be well worth adding for those interior kitchen scenes :)

Martin

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: JimmyToTheBe on May 25, 2016, 07:46:36 AM
... after seeing some of Esben's stuff lately. Hope you like it  :)

Haha, nice one Jimmy. I was actually close to putting that donut up in the air instead of the cheeseburger :)
I think your groundplane and lighting is looking good! Maybe a tighter DoF would look nice?

Interesting thoughts, Will! I don't think scanners are going to make artists make less. A scanner can only scan what has been created. I mean, there's still the need for someone to create the, in this case, donut. As I see it, it just enables another way to reach the same goal. Sometimes even faster. If I need a donut for e.g. a kitchen seen, I think it is great if I can save time by scanning a real donut. Without the scanning I would have to spend hours on sculpting and painting realistic looking texture maps. Or paying someone to do it.

Okay, as I type this I realise that some types of artists may become obsolete. Or less in demand at least. People who do sculpting and organic models as their main thing. The above was written with my own perspective in mind. For me, mainly being a rendering artist, I just want great models for my scenes as cheap as possible. Scanned or sculpt, I don't care...

Maybe, actually, it can be seen a bit like HDRI's. They are basically a "scan" of the real world and replaces/supplement a 3D-lighting setup.

I don't think it is either good or bad. Technology evolves. Some jobs becomes obsolete and new jobs emerges. If I was making a living from sculpting detailed models of everyday stuff, I would probably start looking into starting a scanning company on the side. Not enough dragons and orcs for everyone ;)

To quote Will: "...it's interesting to think about where this will take the 3D industry as a whole".
A lot of loose thoughts. Sorry for kinda taking over your thread, Jimmy.

JimmyToTheBe

QuoteA lot of loose thoughts. Sorry for kinda taking over your thread, Jimmy.
No worries, this is a good topic though! I myself very much enjoy modelling everything myself. But from time to time it's nice to be able to visualise something so real and believable. After all that is one reason why we render. If I ask someone "Hey look at this image!" They immediately say "WOW is that a photo?" This then will lead onto a conversation about how it was rendered and leaving someone else with some sort of knowledge about what we do for 3D art / design.

Thanks for the comments guys, always appreciated.

Hopefully I will be able to share more stuff soon. I'm primarily a Solidworks kinda guy with the type of paid work I do. But I love to use Zbrush now and then to flex my more artistic side. I have been thinking about doing a new personal project with creating a female head from scratch. So if you have any tips and starting points, or suggested software pipelines that would be great.

Will Gibbons

This did go a bit off the deep end, and I feel responsible for initial comments.

Both great points shared by Esben and you Jimmy!

I'm also a 'solidworks' guy, but in the process of expanding my 3D modeling horizons : ). Would love to see what you come up with. How's ZBrush? I was looking at it today. The responsible thing would be for me to not try my hand at it as I've already got my hands in Modo and Fusion 360 currently which I need to level up in.

It's great to have a range of work that speaks to different clients and anyone else who may be interested in your 3D skills as you mentioned. Anything to get the conversation started! I wish I could offer you tips for creating a sculpt of a head as you mentioned, but sadly, I can't.

Arn

Quote from: Will Gibbons on May 25, 2016, 09:47:03 AM
I've been seeing some impressive 3D scanned content. Not sure how I feel about it. I mean, the technology is amazing and exciting for sure. Also, am interested to see how seamless it will make integrating 3D content into any compositing pipeline. The other side of the coin I suppose, is that as technology advances, we 'artists' are doing less and less.
We won't do less, we will focus on different things, probably allowing more creativity. Not having to slave away in a print shop to do graphic design has not hurt the industry and creativity one bit and neither will this.

JimmyToTheBe

Quote from: Will Gibbons on May 26, 2016, 07:00:01 AM
This did go a bit off the deep end, and I feel responsible for initial comments.

Not at all Will. Constructive points all the same. It's good to keep pushing my boundaries with different software and see what varies best for a certain job.  Scanned content I find is best for interior scenes like the huge availability for 3d scanned people is great, instead of the awful 2d 'follow me' ones you get in sketch-up.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: JimmyToTheBe on June 03, 2016, 04:09:31 AM
Quote from: Will Gibbons on May 26, 2016, 07:00:01 AM

Not at all Will. Constructive points all the same. It's good to keep pushing my boundaries with different software and see what varies best for a certain job.  Scanned content I find is best for interior scenes like the huge availability for 3d scanned people is great, instead of the awful 2d 'follow me' ones you get in sketch-up.

I agree with you there. Every time I come back to this thread, I get hungry for donuts...  :'(

Stevoid

Wow!

I dont even know where I would begin to start mapping that dough texture...

syrom

Quote from: Will Gibbons on May 25, 2016, 09:47:03 AM
I've been seeing some impressive 3D scanned content. Not sure how I feel about it. I mean, the technology is amazing and exciting for sure. Also, am interested to see how seamless it will make integrating 3D content into any compositing pipeline. The other side of the coin I suppose, is that as technology advances, we 'artists' are doing less and less. At this point, scanners are tools like everything else an artist uses, but it's interesting to think about where this will take the 3D industry as a whole.

If anyone is interested in reading about the technology (I found it interesting): https://www.wikiwand.com/en/3D_scanner

As for the rendering, it looks amazing! Really, really nice. What kind of files does blankrepository include with the models from?
Im in the same boat. Love the tech and see it killing the modelers.lol. love and hate but thats the tech world. Changing ultra fast!  Best renders out there are the scanned ones. This a great example of it.  You could never get this amount of details by doing it by hand. You can come close but never like this.  Theres even a autodesk app that makes your cheap android unto a scanner and wirks rather well.lol. oh well.... what we can do is just visualize the future un which no 1 billion dollar scanner xan ever do. So we won't be put out if business all the way.lololol.